Made in Coventry...

A list of local reference sources and other useful information

Re: Made in Coventry...

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:28 am

The reason being, the only sales in 1960 were to MAN & OVERTON of london, that I visited a few times as regards to their spare parts back-log, which needed re-placements, from Coventry, for they had accidents galore. I altered that to a steady monthly supply. and every one was happy.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:34 pm

Carbodies didn't market the vehicle conversions, they were just sub-contractors for the original manufacturers. As far as the end customer knew they had nothing to do with them.

Don't forget they made the bodies for Daimler too when they were both part of BSA.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:59 am

Not to my knowledge, not at Coventry 'Snowy' was the transport guy that sent out spare parts, and taxi could not live without spare parts. Neither the stores, buying in parts, made in Coventryto my Knowledge and I had full control of what parts I wanted from all of them, I was in close touch with the manager's of all depts daily. Dutchman the only reason they let me go was because I said I wanted to go to the Rome Olympics. I let them think I was a competitor, but really I was supporting Graham Symmonds. If they made other parts, could have been after I left, please tell me more, as I really did like the people I worked with.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:02 pm

In addition to producing taxi cabs, Carbodies also produced custom car bodies for a number of other British automakers in the early to mid-20th century. Some of the companies that Carbodies worked with included:

• Daimler - Carbodies produced custom coachwork for Daimler cars in the 1920s and 1930s. One of the most famous Daimler cars to feature Carbodies coachwork was the Daimler Double-Six, which was introduced in 1926.

• Sunbeam - Carbodies produced coachwork for several Sunbeam models in the 1920s and 1930s. One of the most notable Sunbeam models to feature Carbodies coachwork was the Sunbeam 20.9, which was introduced in 1928.

• Rover - Carbodies produced coachwork for several Rover models in the 1930s and 1940s, including the Rover P2 and P3.

• MG - Carbodies produced coachwork for several MG models in the 1930s and 1940s, including the MG VA and MG Y-Type.

• Austin - Carbodies produced coachwork for several Austin models in the 1930s and 1940s, including the Austin 16.
Carbodies also produced coachwork for other British automakers such as Humber, Morris, and Standard during its long history as a coachbuilder.

From the pictures I've seen the later models were just conversions of existing designs such as estate cars and convertibles.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:30 am

I only worked there in 59/60, so only spoke for those two years, no nothing about what they used to do, sorry for any conflict or bother regards kaga.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:22 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbodies

Further contracts undertaken during the 1960s and early 1970s were the conversion of Humber Hawk and Super Snipe, Singer Vogue and Triumph 2000 saloons into estate cars, but gradually, as contract work on private cars and commercial vehicles fell away, the FX4 taxi would become more important for the company.

1957 Humber Hawk

1960 Ford Zodiac Convertible

1964 Humber Super Snipe

1965 Singer Vogue

1976 Triumph 2500S
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:36 am

I have no interest in motor cars whatsoever these days, too old, too housebound.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:20 pm

Blitzkid wrote:I have no interest in motor cars whatsoever these days, too old, too housebound.

But we can still enjoy a thing of beauty, Blitzkid. ;)
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:18 pm

No rebbonk, no car is beautiful for me.

I would rather go to a farm show, and see a bunch of animals, I understand that we have to have progress, but that doesn't mean we we have to admire them, No, I like living things, warmth and movement. I suppose it's what I started out with and lived with. I suppose I'm like my father, he had never been in a house with electric. When he did he did not use for a whole year. I still sit ages in the gloom just looking through the window that looks over the channel. The sound of the sea on the beach, the beauty of the sky, the golden silence. Oh my, a car might seem a thing of beauty, but a thing of pollution and death, a thing that's rushing us forward. Why we no longer have time to talk to each other. How many people in Coventry sit in the churchyard and admire the people that built the great cathedrals? I know I'm different to most, but so be it. I'm talking to you, but how much better if we were together, to see your expressions, to try to catch your emotions, your dismays, your smile and so much more.

Yes I travelled a lot, and the most beauty I saw were mainly things from the past.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:12 pm

:cheers:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

PreviousNext

Return to Reference Section