Made in Coventry...

A list of local reference sources and other useful information

Re: Made in Coventry...

Postby pollyanna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks for that Dutchy - if I remember rightly - did Courtaulds used to be in that building - or a subsidiary of it????
pollyanna

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:55 pm

pollyanna wrote:Thanks for that Dutchy - if I remember rightly - did Courtaulds used to be in that building - or a subsidiary of it????
I don't think so Polly? Courtaulds occupied the buidings in Folehill Road just before the junction with Lockhurst Lane:
Click on the image above for a giant close-up.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby pollyanna » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks for the info Dutchy. My first ever job when I left school was at Courtaulds, not in the main building, but a building set apart - in the Patent Department.

With regards to the building in Lockhurst Lane- it may have been another building I was thinking of - on the left hand side going from Foleshill Road - that certain offices of Courtaulds used or one of their subsidiaries.
I remember it stood slightly back from the road and had steps leading up to it. Next time I visit I'll have to have a look.
pollyanna

Postby dutchman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Armstrong-Whitworth A.W.38 'Whitley'

The Whitley was the first RAF bomber to be designed specifically for night operations. It therefore bore the brunt of Bomber Command's workload in the early stages of the war. In particular it took part (along with the Vickers Wellington) in the infamous retaliation raid on Berlin on the night of August 25th/26th 1940 which caused Hitler to switch targets from RAF airfields to major British cities and thus saved RAF Fighter Command from total extinction.

After retirement as a front line bomber the Whitley continued to be used for special operations, in particular the parachuting of clandestine agents deep into occupied europe.

There are no prizes for guessing whereabouts in Coventry it was built ;)
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Apparently there is a project in progress to rebuild a Whitley bomber. If you search Yahoo groups you can see the progress. (Last time I looked it was a bit slow, but I imagine it's costly and parts are difficult to source.) I believe that a guy name "Elliott Smock" is involved; if you google his name plus "Whitley" then select images you get some very interesting pictures.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks for the headsup Rebbonk :thumbsup:

Wouldn't it be great to see one fly over Coventry again? :begging:

There are some amazing pictures of the wreckage here: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=93634

It's fortunate for the restorers that late model Whitleys used Merlin engines as it would have been a nightmare finding parts for the radial engines fitted to earlier versions.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Here's an oddity for those who think of Standard-Triumph as only ever having made cars. The Standard Atlas was manufactured from 1958-1968 in Coventry and then from 1968 onwards in India. It was later known as a Leyland 15/20. This is a rare pick-up truck version. It was also made as a conventional panel van and minibus (probably by Carbodies of Holyhead Road) and converted to a camper van by Dormobile:

Carbodies minibus/caravanette conversion:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby 20A-Manor House » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:36 pm

how about this, this was made in Coventry

20A-Manor House

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 pm

20A-Manor House wrote:how about this, this was made in Coventry

I wonder who made it then?

And :welwave: to the forum :cheers:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby 20A-Manor House » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 pm

The "Foleshill Brick and Tile Works" founded by Albert Johnson in Sydnall Road Longford, 1897, (I don't have a closing date).
20A-Manor House

PreviousNext

Return to Reference Section