It’s official, gardening is good for you

It’s official, gardening is good for you

Postby dutchman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:22 am

It’s official – gardening is good for you.

A new 65-page study commissioned by the National Gardens Scheme explores the benefits to physical and mental health gardening can offer individuals and communities alike.

Berkswell residents Bob and June Smitten tragically lost their son Neil in a motorcycle crash three years ago – and they are a perfect example of the benefits of green fingers.

Opening their charming cottage garden last year for the National Gardens Scheme (NGS) proved an uplifting experience for the Smitten family as they continue their road to recovery in the wake of Neil’s death.

“Because we did it in Neil’s memory, I almost felt he was part of it,” said mum June.

“I don’t think our garden’s very special but people seemed to enjoy coming.

“I find gardening very therapeutic. It doesn’t take the heartache away, but it seems to lighten it, somehow.”

Last year 700 visitors flocked to Berkswell’s NGS Open Day, breaking previous Warwickshire records.

This weekend, the Smittens’ Eardley Cottage will be one eleven glorious Berkswell gardens opening once more for the NGS’ main fundraiser for cancer and palliative care charities – last year’s event raised a whopping £2.6 million.

All garden styles are represented – formal, informal, wildlife-friendly – with imaginatively planted borders, rare trees, productive vegetable plots, and much to explore.

The Berkswell gardens will be opening to the public from 11am until 6pm on Sunday (June 26).

Tickets, which give entry to all gardens, are £5 and children get in for free.

Visit: http://www.ngs.org.uk for more information.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Flowers/Gardening