Coventry wins gold at the Heart of England in Bloom Awards

Coventry wins gold at the Heart of England in Bloom Awards

Postby dutchman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:30 pm

Coventry once again came up smelling of roses after being crowned overall winners in the city centre category at the Heart of England in Bloom Awards.

A team, consisting of the Coventry Business Improvement District (BID) and the council, worked together to enter the city into the prestigious annual competition.

Judges visited the city in July to do a full assessment on the floral displays as well as street cleaning and re-development works.

As well as being crowned overall winners, Coventry also won a gold award.

The judges commented on many areas of the city centre that scored highly, including the numerous floral displays and the transformation at junction six of the ring road as part of the new Friargate development.

Coun Faye Abbott, cabinet member for community development, co-operatives and social enterprise said: “Winning another gold award for Coventry city centre is a brilliant achievement.

“The partnership between Coventry City Council and the BID continues to bring great results to projects such as bloom and I am so proud of the work the staff have put into this project - maintaining the city centre to such a high standard on a daily basis is hard work - and this recognition is well deserved for all involved.”

John Kiely, chairman of Coventry BID, said: “I am so pleased that Coventry has once again won gold in the Heart of England in Bloom competition.

“The BID alongside Coventry City Council, work hard throughout the year to improve and maintain the planting and cleansing in the city centre, it is great to receive recognition of the hard work that has been put into it by both teams.

“We will continue to keep a high standard throughout the year to create a more vibrant city centre filled with floral displays and sustainable planting.”

Rugby also secured two gold awards in the small city category for an eighth year in row.

Rugby’s entry for this year’s In Bloom celebrated the Rugby World Cup.

The judges hailed the borough’s “creative and innovative forward thinking,” describing Rugby as “clean and vibrant.”

Elsewhere Leamington won silver silver gilt (small city), Berkswell won gold (large village), Meriden won silver (large village), Warwick won gold (large town), Wellesbourne won silver (small town) and Studley won gold (small town).

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry wins gold at the Heart of England in Bloom Awar

Postby rebbonk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:05 am

I'd like to know how much we spent on this?

Whilst I like to see the place look nice, I think it wrong for the council to be spending money like this whilst cutting back on much needed services.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Coventry wins gold at the Heart of England in Bloom Awar

Postby dutchman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:23 pm

I have to break the habit of a lifetime and stick up for the council here. Flowers create a pleasant environment and that attracts employers to the city.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Flowers/Gardening