Florists flying the flag for Coventry at Chelsea Flower Show

Florists flying the flag for Coventry at Chelsea Flower Show

Postby dutchman » Sat May 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Two master florists will fly the flag for Coventry at the country’s most famous flower show.

Charlotte Baker and Vicky Rymell, from Hubbards Florists in Holbrook Lane, Holbrooks, have qualified to compete at the Chelsea Flower Show later this month.

The pair have previous good form at the show, having both secured prestigious medals in previous years. Charlotte’s came last year, while Vicky brought home silver in 2011 and gold in 2008.

Vicky, 28, will compete in the florist of the year category, while Charlotte, 22, is set to compete for the young florist of the year gong.

The pair have been tasked with designing a fantasy floral dress for a crystal ball for the event which will run from Tuesday, May 20 to Saturday May, 24.

Ken Hubbard, who runs the shop where the talented duo work, said he was proud of their efforts.

He said: “I am very proud of them. They have both won gold before so they will be going for a double gold this year.

“I would be surprised if any other shop in the West Midlands has two florists through to Chelsea.”

Charlotte and Vicky travelled up to Glasgow earlier this year to compete in the regional heats of their respective categories, beating competition from 15 other florists to secure their places at the show.

Charlotte said: “I was thrilled to reach Chelsea, especially as I did it last year so I know what to expect. It was really scary my first time.

“It was really good to get gold last year and now I will have to aim for that every time.

“A few customers have been in asking about the competition in the last couple of weeks which is really nice. It will be nice to see the different types of designs, I thought the theme would be easy at first – but it is proving to be quite hard.”

Hubbards Florists is a family company which has been open since 1983 and has a proud history of producing talented florists.

Vicky said: “It’s a big achievement to get to Chelsea. We do other competitions as well, but nothing matches the excitement of Chelsea Flower Show.

"We hope we can get another gold each, if we both win it will be the first time a shop has done that.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Flowers/Gardening