Flowers, planters and running men and women return

Flowers, planters and running men and women return

Postby dutchman » Tue May 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Coventry is set to be greener thanks to the new Council leadership team.

Cllr Ann Lucas, who is set to become Council Leader at the AGM on 16 May has already reversed the decision to remove the big square planters, barrier planters and much loved privet 'running men and women' from across the city.

She explained: "These are difficult times, we all know that. But stripping out everything that makes the city look and feel good is not the answer to the financial situation we find ourselves in. In the big scheme of things it costs a relatively small amount to make the city look fantastic and I know people really enjoy seeing flowers on their journey in to the city centre and as well as beautiful planting schemes in their local areas.

"Many of the planters had been removed so we have some work to do to get them back quickly. But I hope this move shows that when we say we will deliver people can trust that we will. Plants have already been ordered and our street pride crews will be out next week putting the barrier baskets back.

"I'm excited - and enormously proud - to be taking on the challenge of leading the Council in the city I love. This is just one of the many things we have got planned. There is a lot to do but we are keen to get cracking and I hope people will see and feel the difference we make."

Coventry has 265 barrier planters, 130 square pavement planters and 10 running men and women. Many of these were removed as part of a plan to save £50,000.

Summer bedding plants have been ordered and will be established enough to be planted in mid to late June. The running men and women will be re planted in the next few weeks.

Councillor Rachel Lancaster, Cabinet Member for Public Services said,

"I'm delighted that one of the first things I am able to do as the new cabinet member is to tell local people that the flowers and running men and women everyone loves so much will be back - making our city more beautiful and attractive for local people and visitors alike.

"But we won't be stopping there. We will also be working with businesses and communities in the city to see if they are prepared to increase the planting in the city by sponsoring planters and planting in the city. This will work like our traffic island sponsorship - we have some beautiful planting schemes on some of our islands - thanks to our partners. And we want more of these."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Flowers/Gardening