Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:43 pm
But only if you combine sales on PS4 and Xbox One
Last week was absolutely massive in terms of new releases as we got a new sandbox Mario game, a new Assassin's Creed and something as rare as a singleplayer-only AAA shooter in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Assassin's Creed Origins almost sold as well as the last game in the series, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, during launch week in terms of retail unit sales, but surpassed it in terms of revenue thanks to great sales of more expensive collector's editions. In second place was Super Mario Odyssey, though it did beat out the PS4 version of Assassin's Creed Origins in the single SKU chart. The unit split for Assassin's Creed Origins was 60/40 in favour of PS4.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus managed fourth place behind FIFA 18. Of course, for Assassin's Creed, Syndicate level sales aren't what Ubisoft are aspiring to so it remains to be seen if digital sales and word of mouth will help Origins in the long-run. As for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus dropping on the same day as Mario and Assassin's Creed, and just the week prior to a World War II-themed Call of Duty, saw the game drop 60 percent of the predecessor first-week sales. Granted that also came out on PS3 and Xbox 360, but still, it has to be very disappointing reading for Bethesda.
As suspected Super Mario Odyssey became the biggest Switch launch to date, and in fact, it is bigger than any game launch on Wii U and Nintendo's 6th best game launch in the UK overall. As you'd suspect a big release like that helped bump up hardware sales (+64%) as the console now sits in more than 300,000 homes in the UK (according to GamesIndustry.biz).
Ubisoft also released the latest edition of Just Dance, Just Dance 2018 and it only managed the 23rd spot in the all formats chart. Curiously it did the most business on Wii (!), just ahead of the Switch version.
1. Assassin's Creed Origins / Ubisoft (new)
2. Super Mario Odyssey / Nintendo (new)
3. FIFA 18 / EA Sports
4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus / Bethesda (new)
5. Gran Turismo Sport / Sony
6. Grand Theft Auto V / Rockstar
7. Destiny 2 / Activision
8. South Park: The Fractured But Whole / Ubisoft
9. Middle-earth: Shadow of War / Warner Bros.
10. WWE 2K17 / 2K Sports
1. Super Mario Odyssey / Switch (new)
2. Assassin's Creed Origins / PS4 (new)
3. Assassin's Creed Origins / Xbox One (new)
4. FIFA 18 / PS4
5. Gran Turismo Sport / PS4
6. FIFA 18 / Xbox One
7. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus / PS4 (new)
8. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus / Xbox One (new)
9. South Park: The Fractured But Whole / PS4
10. Grand Theft Auto V / PS4