Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:01 pm
Destiny has seen the biggest ever new franchise launch in the UK, according to GfK Chart-Track.
The Bungie-developed, online-only game beats a record set by Ubisoft's Watch Dogs earlier this year.
The game saw an even split on PlayStation and Xbox, with PS4 selling the most with 46%, followed by 36% on Xbox One, 14% on Xbox 360 and PS3 4%.
Meanwhile, last week's number one The Sims 4 drops to second place ahead of Watch Dogs in third, while Call of Duty: Ghosts is in fifth.
The Last of Us: Remastered and Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition split one place each to fifth and sixth.
There are two other new entries in the top ten, with NHL 15 and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution debuting in seventh and 10th respectively.
Meanwhile, Infamous: Last Light's retail release debuted in 17th place, while retailer promotions for The Borderlands Collection and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary see them both re-enter the top 40 in 24th and 29th.
Last week Activision claimed Destiny was the biggest ever new franchise launch, selling a combined $500m through to retailers and digital stores.
In 2013, Call of Duty: Ghosts shipped $1 billion worth of units to retail, while GTA 5 generated $1 billion in three days to become the fastest-selling entertainment product.
The top 20 in full:
1. (-) Destiny (Activision)
2. (1) The Sims 4 (Electronic Arts)
3. (2) Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
4. (6) Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
5. (4) The Last of Us Remastered (Sony)
6. (7) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
7. (-) NHL 15 (EA)
8. (8) Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (EA Games)
9. (9) Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (Sony)
10. (-) Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (Namco Bandai)
11. (10) Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)
12. (12) The LEGO Movie Videogame (Warner Bros Interactive)
13. (5) Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition (Blizzard)
14. (3) Metro Redux (Deep Silver)
15. (13) Titanfall (EA Games)
16. (15) Tomodachi Life (Nintendo)
17. (-) Infamous: First Light (Sony)
18. (11) Madden NFL 15 (EA Sports)
19. (17) Terraria (505 Games)
20. (19) Sniper Elite 3 (505 Games)
Leisure software charts compiled by Chart Track, (C) 2014 UKIE Ltd.