Steve Wright checks out at 69

Steve Wright checks out at 69

Postby rebbonk » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:34 pm

Steve Wright, BBC Radio presenter, dies aged 69

Broadcaster worked at BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 for more than 40 years, garnering millions of devoted listeners

The radio DJ Steve Wright, whose career at the BBC lasted more than four decades, has died aged 69.

He joined the broadcaster in the 1980s and went on to host shows on BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2. The cause of death has not been disclosed.

A statement shared with BBC News by Wright’s family on Tuesday said: “It is with deep sorrow and profound regret that we announce the passing of our beloved Steve Wright.

“In addition to his son, Tom, and daughter, Lucy, Steve leaves behind his brother, Laurence, and his father, Richard.

“Also, much-loved close friends and colleagues, and millions of devoted radio listeners who had the good fortune and great pleasure of allowing Steve into their daily lives as one of the UK’s most enduring and popular radio personalities.

“As we all grieve, the family requests privacy at this immensely difficult time.”

Wright joined BBC Radio 1 in 1980 to host a Saturday evening show before moving on to Steve Wright in the Afternoon and later fronting the Radio 1 Breakfast Show from 1994 to 1995.

After a stint in commercial radio, he joined BBC Radio 2 in 1996 to host Steve Wright’s Saturday Show and Sunday Love Songs.

In 1999, he recreated Steve Wright in the Afternoon, featuring celebrity interviews, showbusiness news and “factoids” trivia. In September 2022, Wright signed off from his final Radio 2 afternoon show.

He played out with Queen’s Radio Ga Ga and its final lyrics: “You had your time, you had the power, you’ve yet to have your finest hour.” As the music faded, Wright said: “Those are the closing moments of Steve Wright in the Afternoon on Radio 2.”

Tim Davie, the BBC director general, paid tribute, saying: “All of us at the BBC are heartbroken to hear this terribly sad news.” He added: “Steve was a truly wonderful broadcaster who has been a huge part of so many of our lives over many decades.

“He was the ultimate professional – passionate about the craft of radio and deeply in touch with his listeners.”

Ken Bruce, who spent three decades presenting the mid-morning time slot on Radio 2, said he was “totally shocked” to hear about Wright’s death.

“We were planning lunch to celebrate the award of his richly deserved MBE. An outstanding and innovative broadcaster whose listeners loved him. What a loss to the world of radio,” he wrote on X.

Jo Whiley thanked Wright, whom she called “the broadcaster’s broadcaster”, for all his support over the years. The radio DJ and television presenter wrote on X: “What a man. What a legend.

“One of the kindest, loveliest people I’ve had the pleasure to work with. Thanks for the support & music chat over the years.

“Can’t believe we won’t meet in the bowels of MV for our weekly catch up. Love ya Wrighty.”

Dame Esther Rantzen, who was interviewed by Wright on many occasions, told PA Media: “He created a kind of club which, whether he was interviewing you or whether you were enjoying it as a listener, you looked forward to joining every day.

“It is a very rare quality and he made it sound easy.”

The broadcaster Zoe Ball wrote on X: “Life won’t be the same without you here. Love you my friend my hero.”

Wright, who was made an MBE in the 2024 new year honours list for his services to radio, continued to present Sunday Love Songs each weekend. From October 2023, he hosted the long-running Radio 2 show Pick of the Pops on Saturday afternoons.

He fronted numerous specials for the network including Your Ultimate Kylie Song and Steve Wright’s Peter Kay Christmas Special featuring an interview with the comedian.

Helen Thomas, the head of BBC Radio 2, said Wright understood the connection and companionship that radio engendered better than anyone “and we all loved him for it”.

“He was a consummate professional whose attention to detail was always second to none, and he made his guests laugh, he was fair, and he wanted to showcase them and their work in the best possible light, bringing brilliant stories to our listeners.”

Thomas added: “Steve was the first presenter I ever produced, more than 20 years ago, and I remember the pure amazement I felt, sitting opposite this legendary broadcaster whose shows I had listened to and marvelled at whilst growing up in Hull.”

Lorna Clarke, the director of BBC Music, described Wright as an “extraordinary broadcaster – someone audiences loved, and many of us looked up to”.

“He loved radio, and he loved the BBC, but most of all … he loved his audience.”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/feb/13/steve-wright-bbc-radio-presenter-dies-aged-69
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Steve Wright checks out at 69

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:04 pm

I doubt he'll be missed? People have told me he's the reason they stopped listening to the radio. Dumbed-down trash. :stir:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Steve Wright checks out at 69

Postby dutchman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:01 am

BBC R2 boss Helen Thomas sparks outrage among staff for issuing a 'tone deaf' and 'shameless' tribute to Steve Wright

Radio 2 boss Helen Thomas sparked outrage behind the scenes at the station yesterday for issuing a statement paying tribute to Steve Wright less than 18 months after axing his popular Afternoon Show.

BBC staff are said to be 'enraged' at her for describing the late legendary DJ as being 'second to none' despite moving him from the 2pm until 5pm slot which he held for 24 years to Sunday mornings where he hosted Sunday Love Songs.

Sources at the station insisted that Ms Thomas 'should have just kept her mouth shut' and that her statement was 'shameless' and 'tone deaf' after she replaced Wright, who passed away on Tuesday aged 69, with Scott Mills.

Shortly after Wright's sudden death was announced in a statement by his family yesterday afternoon, Ms Thomas said the radio veteran understood the connection and companionship that radio engendered better than anyone 'and we all loved him for it.'

She added: 'He was a consummate professional whose attention to detail was always second to none, and he made his guests laugh, he was fair, and he wanted to showcase them and their work in the best possible light, bringing brilliant stories to our listeners.

'Steve was the first presenter I ever produced, more than 20 years ago, and I remember the pure amazement I felt, sitting opposite this legendary broadcaster whose shows I had listened to and marvelled at whilst growing up in Hull.'

But employees at BBC HQ were left raging, with one telling MailOnline: 'It is unbelievable that Helen has just come out and said this, she must have forgotten that she moved him from a job he had held for 24 years.

'It was utterly disgraceful. She was also behind getting rid of Ken Bruce and Paul O'Grady. It really would have gone down better if she had said nothing at all.'

Their views were shared by hundreds of listeners who took to social media to share their dismay at Ms Thomas moving him from the afternoon slot.

One wrote on X - formerly known as Twitter: 'Ironic hearing all the tributes for the late, great Steve Wright.

'Pity R2 controller Helen Thomas didn't show him the same respect when she stripped him of his fantastic afternoon show.

While another said: 'I wonder how Helen Thomas feels about the number and the magnitude of people posting about Steve Wright? She really didn't get how massive the man was.'

Meanwhile, one former fan said: 'Listening to all that is being said - on BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 4 especially - about Steve Wright, just goes to reinforce that Helen Thomas, quite simply, didn't have a clue. How on earth did she manage to get the job of Head of BBC Radio 2 and to be able to do so much damage.'

Radio fans were stunned in 2022 when Wright was sacked from his Afternoon Show slot - bringing to an end his much loved show.

Following the news that his time on air would be coming to a close, the star was asked how he was feeling and he said at the time: 'Sometimes people want you, sometimes they don't. Sometimes there are changes and they give you another offer - and that's OK. I understand that, I really understand that.'

His final programme in that timeslot was broadcast on September 30 2022, with Wright playing Radio Ga Ga by Queen as his last record.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Music News