Terry Hall: lead singer of the Specials dies aged 63

Terry Hall: lead singer of the Specials dies aged 63

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:43 am

Terry Hall, the lead singer of the Specials and a former member of Fun Boy Three and the Colourfield, has died aged 63, his bandmates in the Specials have confirmed

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing, following a brief illness, of Terry, our beautiful friend, brother and one of the most brilliant singers, songwriters and lyricists this country has ever produced,” the band tweeted.

“Terry was a wonderful husband and father and one of the kindest, funniest, and most genuine of souls. His music and his performances encapsulated the very essence of life… the joy, the pain, the humour, the fight for justice, but mostly the love.

“He will be deeply missed by all who knew and loved him and leaves behind the gift of his remarkable music and profound humanity. Terry often left the stage at the end of The Specials’ life-affirming shows with three words… ‘Love Love Love’.”

The band asked for respect for Hall’s family’s privacy.

Hall joined the first incarnation of the Specials – then called the Automatics – shortly after the Coventry band formed in 1977, replacing vocalist Tim Strickland. After a stint as the Coventry Automatics, they became Special AKA, known as the Specials. The pioneering 2 Tone band rose thanks to the support of Joe Strummer, who invited them to support the Clash live, and of BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel.

They released their debut single, Gangsters (a reworking of Prince Buster’s Al Capone) in 1979, which reached No 6 in the UK singles chart. They would dominate the Top 10 over the next two years, peaking with their second No 1 single, and calling card, Ghost Town, in 1981. The lyrics, written by the band’s main songwriter, Jerry Dammers, dealt with Britain’s urban decay, unemployment and disfranchised youth.

Its popularity peaked in early summer 1981 as riots between young Black people and police were erupting across the UK in response to racist discrimination and the use of stop-and-search tactics. It remained at No 1 for three weeks, spending 10 weeks in the Top 40, and is widely considered one of the greatest pop records of all time. “It sits in the past, brooding and glowering at us, its remarkable, dark power undimmed,” Guardian critic Alexis Petridis wrote in 2020.

Hall was born in Coventry on 19 March 1959 to a family who predominantly worked in the car industry. He was an academically gifted child and also a noted footballer who was invited to try out for West Bromwich Albion – an opportunity his parents declined based on the inconvenience of travelling across the Midlands. After he sailed through the 11-plus exam, his parents also declined his place at a nearby grammar school.

“All of a sudden they were expected to buy books and a school uniform,” he told Fantastic Man. “I’d just been walking to school dressed in my football kit. So there’s always been a bit of that kicking around in the back of my mind. Not being educated. Wondering what would have happened if I’d gone.”

Hall formed Fun Boy Three with his Specials bandmates Lynval Golding and Neville Staple. They also enjoyed chart success for several years, collaborating twice with girl band Bananarama, on It Ain’t What You Do (It’s the Way That You Do It) and Really Saying Something. Hall would also land a Top 10 single with Our Lips Are Sealed, a song he co-wrote with US indie star – and then romantic partner – Jane Wiedlin for her band the Go-Go’s.

Hall would form another band, the Colourfield, in 1984, which had a hit with Thinking of You. He became a frequent collaborator over subsequent decades, working with the likes of the Lightning Seeds’ Ian Broudie, US actress Blair Booth, Toots and the Maytals, Lily Allen, Blur’s Damon Albarn – and later with his band Gorillaz – and Eurythmics’ Dave Stewart with whom he formed a duo known as Vegas in 1992.

Hall wasn’t part of a Specials reunion, the Specials Mk 2, which lasted from 1993 to 1998. He released his debut solo album in 1994, Home, produced by Broudie; a follow-up, Laugh, came in 1997.

In 2008, inspired by the Pixies’ reunion in 2004, Hall announced that he would be reforming the Specials for a tour and new music, albeit without founding member Jerry Dammers, who claimed he had been forced out. “The Specials was this big hole which took up four years of my life,” Hall told the Telegraph. “More than anything, I really wanted to see these people again.”

They embarked on a 30th anniversary tour in 2009 and performed at the 2012 London Olympics closing concert, but faced the death of drummer John Bradbury, and the departure of vocalist Neville Staple and guitarist Roddy Radiation over the next few years.

The band would find themselves in the news again in 2017, when 18-year-old Birmingham woman Saffiyah Khan was photographed facing off with protesters at an EDL march while wearing a Specials T-shirt. “It felt like a vindication of everything the band had set out to do,” Hall said.

In 2019, they released a new album, Encore, which featured Khan performing on a new song, 10 Commandments. It charted at No 1 in the UK albums chart – their highest-ever album placing. “Achieving a first No 1 album in our 60s restored our faith in humanity,” Hall told the Quietus.

Hall struggled to write lyrics for a follow-up, he said. “The arrival of the pandemic affected me enormously. I spent around three months trying to figure out what was going on. I couldn’t write a single word. I spent the time trying to figure out how not to die.” Instead, they covered historic protest songs and released Protest Songs 1924-2012 in 2021, which peaked at No 2.

Hall was still struggling with his mental health, he admitted around this time. In 2003, he had begun self-medicating with alcohol. In the last decade of his life, he sought medication, having been wary of it since being put on Valium as a teenager, as well as taking up art therapy.

“It got to a point where I didn’t have a choice – and it’s done me so much good,” he said. “Talking about mental health problems is a conscious decision. It’s something I want to share with people. The stigma is difficult, but so many people have been affected – in the last year, especially – so if you’ve got knowledge or history, it is good to talk to people going through it. Not to tell them what to do, but to suggest a way to calmer living. It can be done.”

Hall is survived by his wife, director Lindy Heymann. They had one son; Hall has two older sons with his ex-wife, Jeanette Hall.

In 2019, Hall told Uncut magazine that he had been enjoying his 60s, an age he had aspired to since being a 27-year-old fan of musical lifers Andy Williams, Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra. “You have to shut everything out to do that,” he said. “I feel blessed to have reached that stage. A lot of people think that 60 is part of the downward spiral, which it is if you allow it to be, but you can fight it and say, no it isn’t – it’s just part of this story.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Terry Hall: lead singer of the Specials dies aged 63

Postby rebbonk » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:23 pm

R.I.P. :cry:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:27 pm

Coventry scooter ride-out pays tribute to singer

Hundreds of people have taken part in a scooter ride-out in Terry Hall's home city of Coventry to mark what would have been his 64th birthday.

Hall, singer with The Specials, died in December of pancreatic cancer.

Scooters were a symbol of the Two Tone scene of which Hall was an icon, at its peak in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

"The whole mods and rude boys, it all just amalgamated into one scene. They all rode scooters; they all looked sharp," said organiser Richard Willie.

Hannah Tobin, from the city, said the sheer number of scooters who turned out from all over the West Midlands had been "absolutely amazing".

"It was quite moving and brilliant seeing them all in convoy to remember him," she said.

Suki Singh, who helped to organise the event, said many people had been in touch, asking to take part,

"We've had other clubs - CV Collective, All or Nothing, groups from Solihull, Kettering and Northampton - that all wanted to get involved and as soon as people found out about it - it just got sort of bigger and bigger," he said.

"Some things pass you by at the time but suddenly, years later, we realise how big Two Tone was, and a massive part was played, obviously, by The Specials.

The city's 2-Tone Village has music and stalls to raise funds for Tonic, a charity supported by Hall, that aims to help people's mental health and recovery through music.

The top end of Marlborough Road became a scooter park for the day, affecting parking in some roads, the village said.

Mr Willie, who runs the Lounge Lizards Scooter Club, said Hall had "touched all of our souls".

"We all loved Terry Hall," said Mr Willie.

"When he died, we just wanted to do something to honour his legacy and all the music he made, which was a massive part of our lives."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:05 pm

Coventry’s Music Museum pays tribute to Terry Hall

A tribute to The Specials frontman Terry Hall has been unveiled at a museum in his hometown.

Hall died aged 63 in December of pancreatic cancer.

Coventry Music Museum said it "had to do something" to remember the singer, who was an icon of the Two Tone scene.

"In December when he passed the outpouring was just amazing," said the museum's founder Pete Chambers. "I’ve never seen anything like it."

The Specials spearheaded the Two Tone and ska scenes, their music reflected an era of upheaval, unemployment and racial tension.

Blowing up in the 1970s and 80s, the group is best remembered for hits including Ghost Town, Gangsters and Too Much Too Young.

"You go anywhere all over the world, you talk about Coventry, and people talk about the Blitz, the cathedral, Lady Godiva and invariably they’ll talk about Two Tone," said Mr Chambers.

The tribute to the former frontman includes a painting by artist Rick Hadfield, photographs and a space for fans to leave messages.

"So many people will have things to say," said Mr Chambers and added a huge number of visitors had come to the museum to sign a book of condolence when Hall died.

"We’re only a small museum so finding extra space is always difficult but it shows how much the importance is to actually find the space," he said.

"That’s how much we care for this guy."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Music News