The Selecter announce Coventry date as part of UK tour

The Selecter announce Coventry date as part of UK tour

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:24 pm

The band are playing their second album Celebrate The Bullet in its entirety

Coventry ska legends The Selecter have announced a date in their home town as part of a 2022 UK tour. The band will play the HMV Empire in Coventry city centre on November 19.

The band, fronted by Pauline Black, are touring playing their second album Celebrate The Bullet, which is being played in its entirety. It follows the album’s re-release.

The Selecter are co-fronted by original member Arthur ‘Gaps’ Hendrickson. They are now re-united with original drummer Charley ‘Aitch’ Bainbridge who is back in the 2022 line-up.

Celebrate The Bullet was the second album by The Selecter following the release of their debut Too Much Pressure in 1980. The remastered Deluxe Edition that has been released features previously unreleased live and radio sessions.

Pauline Black said: “Celebrate The Bullet is an album that is very dear to my heart and the chance to tour it in its entirety is an opportunity that I thought would never happen. It’s as if, over 40 years later, the world has finally caught up with The Selecter.

"The album’s subject matter remains entirely prescient as the world continues to struggle with gun crime, racism, sexism and the increasing march of nationalism and war. People didn’t like the bleak message we delivered back then, they wanted more of the ska inflected sound of ‘Too Much Pressure’.

"After a difficult reception, the album was largely forgotten. But there were those among our fans in the wider world, who secretly came to admire the album, and over the ensuing years, world events and our attitudes to them have markedly changed, and today the album accurately reflects the troubled world we live in.

"This album is the one that got away from the 2-Tone label. Perhaps leaving the label was not our best decision, but making the album surely was.

"I’ve always considered Celebrate The Bullet a classic and with its new release and supporting tour, I hope you’ll share my opinion.”

Support on all dates comes from riotous punk trio IDestroy. The Selecter’s 2022 tour comes in the wake of Pauline Black being awarded an OBE in the New Year Honours. After the news was announced she paid tribute to Coventry saying: “Coventry is responsible for making me who I am, today, it gave me the opportunity to study, work and ultimately creatively find my voice with the 2-Tone movement which has spearheaded the musical conversation about racism and sexism for the past 42 years.”

Tickets to The Selecter’s HMW Empire show cost £27.50 and are on sale here.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Music News