Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You finally reaches UK Number 1

Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You finally reaches UK Number 1

Postby dutchman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Mariah's 26-year in the making festive chart-topper sets a new Official UK Chart record

Mariah Carey’s wish comes true as her iconic festive hit All I Want For Christmas Is You finally reaches Number 1 on the Official UK Singles Chart 26 years after its release, and breaks a new Official Chart record in the process, the Official Charts Company can confirm.

The track climbs one place this week, completing a 26-year journey to the top spot. Upon its original release in 1994, All I Want For Christmas Is You peaked at Number 2, just missing out on the coveted Christmas Number 1 that year to East 17’s Stay Another Day.

An enduring staple of the festive season, All I Want For Christmas Is You proves good things come to those who wait, as it reaches the summit in its 70th week in the Top 40, and sets a new chart record - no other song has spent more weeks in the Official Chart Top 40 before eventually reaching Number 1 in UK chart history.

The song notched up 10.8 million streams over the last seven days – the most streams in a week by any song in 2020 so far. Across its lifetime, the song has also racked up a cool 1.24 million pure sales, making it the UK’s 84th best-selling song in history, according to Official Charts Company data.

Since the advent of digital, Mariah’s Christmas classic has returned to the Official Singles Chart every December since 2007. Proving its ever-enduring popularity, the last three years have seen it match its original Number 2 peak position, but 2020 is the year that the British public have finally sent it all the way to the top, following a tussle with fellow festive anthem Last Christmas by Wham!.

Celebrating the news, Carey told OfficialCharts.com: "Happy Christmas UK!! We finally made it!!! We are keeping the Christmas spirit alive together despite how dismal the year’s been. Love you always!”

Carey leads a thoroughly festive Top 40 this week, which includes a further 22 Christmas songs, six of which feature in the Top 10: Wham’s Last Christmas (2), The Pogues feat. Kirsty Maccoll’s Fairytale Of New York (4), Shakin’ Stevens’ Merry Christmas Everyone (6), Michael Bublé’s It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas (7), Band Aid’s Do They Know It’s Christmas (8), and Elton John’s Step Into Christmas (10).

Jess Glynne’s festive cover of This Christmas, released this year, zooms 25 places to Number 13.

Elsewhere, three Christmas songs reach new all-time peaks this week: Ariana Grande’s Santa Tell Me (11), Kelly Clarkson’s Underneath The Tree (16), Michael Bublé’s Holly Jolly Christmas (30).

Finally, rising Australian rapper/singer The Kid Laroi lands his first UK Top 40 hit, Without You vaults 53 places to Number 23.

View this week's Top 100 Official Singles Chart in full

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Music News