The Specials day in LA - so why no city tributes to Coventry's finest band?

The Specials day in LA - so why no city tributes to Coventry's finest band?

Postby dutchman » Sun May 05, 2019 12:49 am

Specials Day In LA – so why not more tributes here?

So Los Angeles is to have a day to honour Coventry’s finest band The Specials later this month.

I hang my head in shame that their own city can’t do something similar in this their 40th Anniversary year.

The celebrated Rolling Stone music magazine reports that Los Angeles City Council has announced that this May 29 will be forever be known as ‘The Specials Day in honor of the UK band The Specials’.

This band have put our city on the music map. Ask most people what Coventry is famous for and chances are they will tell you The Blitz, Lady Godiva, cars and 2-Tone music.

The current Specials have just hit number one with their comeback album Encore and last week appeared as guests on the BBC prime time Graham Norton Show.

Former members Roddy Byers and Neville Staple have always supported the city of Coventry, playing countless charity gigs through the years and generally being amazing ambassadors for this city, while the Specials creator Jerry Dammers is received in the musical world as a statesman and all-round genius.

As I have said before, maybe a Specials road or a civic reception when they play at the cathedral in the summer. It has to be all the original members, as they all played their parts in this wondrous story and RIP Brad no longer with us, but always remembered.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Music News