Switch to full style
Write comments

James Bond movie theme is first ever No.1 single

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Sam Smith has officially made history by clinching the first ever No.1 Bond theme.

The singer's Spectre theme 'Writing's on the Wall' has racked up 70,000 sales to finish 13,000 copies ahead of its closest competitor, Justin Bieber's 'What Do You Mean?'.

None of the previous 23 Bond themes have ever topped the charts, with Adele's 'Skyfall' and Duran Duran's 'A View to a Kill' coming closest with number two peaks.

"It was such an honour to be asked to write and record 'Writing's on the Wall' and it's incredible that it's become the first number one Bond theme song," Smith told the Official Charts.

"It's been an unforgettable experience working with Barbara [Broccoli] and Sam [Mendes] to become part of this British legacy. I couldn't have done this without my fans - this is a special moment I'll never forget."

Meanwhile, R City and Adam Levine's 'Locked Away' is at three, Sigala's 'Easy Love' slips to four and The Weeknd's 'Can't Feel My Face' completes the Top 5.

Rudimental and Ed Sheeran's collaboration 'Lay It All on Me' has become the Hackney group's eighth Top 40 hit.

Naughty Boy hops two places to nine with his Beyoncé collaboration 'Runnin' (Lose It All)' while Macklemore & Ryan Lewis's 'Downtown' is just outside the Top 10 at number 11.

Finally, Little Mix's 'Love Me Like You' makes its debut at number 21 and Sia's 'Alive' enters at 30.
Write comments