Pete Waterman to pen UK Eurovision song

Pete Waterman to pen UK Eurovision song

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 am

Hitmaker Pete Waterman is to write and produce this year's UK entry for the Eurovision Song Contest.

The music mogul, who has produced more than 200 hit songs over the past 25 years, said he was "relishing the opportunity" to pen the track.

The song will be performed at Eurovision 2010, which will take place in Oslo, Norway in May.

Details about the selection process for the act which will perform it will be announced in the coming weeks.

"Eurovision is one of those iconic competitions that has stood the test of time and keeps coming up with great acts, great tunes and great performances," Waterman said.

"Life's full of challenges and I'm relishing the opportunity to put my own stamp on this one."

'Track record'

Phil Parsons, executive producer of Eurovision for the BBC, said: "This year, with an extremely successful pop writer, the aim is to build on the UK's success while moving on in style and doing something different.

"Pete Waterman has an incredible track record of hits that are known all around Europe so we're thrilled that he has taken on Eurovision."

Waterman is following in the footsteps of Andrew Lloyd Webber, who created the 2009 effort with US songwriter Diane Warren.

My Time, performed by Jade Ewan, came fifth in the contest in Moscow.

During the 1980s, Waterman was a member of the highly-successful recording trio Stock Aitken Waterman who launched the career of Kylie Minogue among others.

He was also behind the hits of artists from Donna Summer, Geri Halliwell, Westlife and Bananarama to Steps, Rick Astley and Dead Or Alive.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Music News