Scott Walker, experimental pop hero, dies aged 76

Scott Walker, experimental pop hero, dies aged 76

Postby rebbonk » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:36 am

Death announced by label 4AD, who said he had ‘enriched the lives of thousands’

Scott Walker, one of the most innovative and enduring songwriters of the 20th century, has died aged 76.

The news was announced by his label, 4AD. “For half a century, the genius of the man born Noel Scott Engel has enriched the lives of thousands,” a statement read. The cause of death has not been announced.

Thom Yorke, frontman of Radiohead, was among those paying tribute, calling him “a huge influence on Radiohead and myself, showing me how I could use my voice and words.”

Walker first came to fame in the mid-1960s in the group the Walker Brothers, before creating a string of acclaimed solo albums – Scott, Scott 2, Scott 3 and Scott 4 – that are regarded as some of the most adventurous and boundary-pushing pop albums of the era.

He then moved further out to the periphery of the music scene, with an increasingly experimental run of albums, including 1995’s Tilt and 2006’s The Drift, which reflected on Mussolini’s mistress, the Srebrenica massacre, and 9/11.

His most recent work was music composed for the Natalie Portman movie Vox Lux.

Walker was born Noah Scott Engel in Hamilton, Ohio in 1943, and grew up in California. In 1964, he teamed up with John Maus – who was naming himself John Walker – and became the duo the Walker Brothers. Their drummer Gary Leeds was a veteran from the nascent “swinging London” pop music scene, and persuaded them to relocate to London, where Walker has been based ever since.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... es-aged-76
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Scott Walker, experimental pop hero, dies aged 76

Postby Melisandre » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 pm

R. I. P he had a great voice.
Melisandre

Return to Music News