Switch to full style
Write comments

Hundreds turn out for Cinderella auditions at Belgrade Theatre

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:31 am

More than 200 kids turned up for the auditions

More than 200 youngsters descended on Coventry’s Belgrade Theatre this morning to audition for this year’s panto - Cinderella.

The chance to shine on stage was being offered to children aged between nine and 16 for a part in the junior chorus.

Auditionees didn’t disappoint, with 202 kids turning up to showcase their talents.

Young hopefuls were split into groups and taught a short dance routine by the show’s choreographer, which they later performed in front of writer, director and panto dame Iain Lauchlan.

Sisters Alannah and Kiera Kavanagh had an early start to the day, arriving at 7.45am.

Kiera said: “I did this two years ago for Beauty and the Beast. I did it for experience and it was fun. I played a citizen and fluffy creature.

“It was good on stage, I didn’t think it was real. I’d just turned 10 for the first show and realised I loved acting.

“I did Dick Whittington last year, I was a rat then. It was fun but was tiring and the costumes were thin and furry. I was just happy to be in it.”

Alannah, nine, followed in her sister’s footsteps and said: “ I wanted to do it after seeing my sister act too , when she first did it I wasn’t old enough.

“When I first heard of this I thought wanted to do it with my sister. I’m really excited, I managed to sleep!

“We’ve been dancing together and my sister has been helping. I was at the Albany last year so have a bit of experience.”

Fourteen-year-old Elliot Barker was at his first audition for the Belgrade but he has done a few pantos before.

He said: “I love the energy about it and this is great for it.

“I sing and dance, most of the time I do singing and acting.

“I come from a theatrical family so I’ve been in panto when I was four.

“We meet so many nice people. I’m a bit nervous but I’m siding towards excited.

“I dont know what to expect but ill give it everything I’ve got. I’ve got family in the West End, it’s great to have that support.”

The youngsters were put into teams and taken into the rehearsal room to learn the dance routine.

They were performing in the presence of panto legend - Ian Lauchlan.

Iain said: “I’m very excited to see some fresh new talent at this year’s auditions. Every year, we see hundreds of youngsters, with different levels of experience in performing, but ultimately we’re looking for plenty of enthusiasm and someone who will shine on the stage.

“As the writer, director and dame, I know how much hard work goes into rehearsing a pantomime, but it’s also a fun and rewarding experience for the whole cast and everyone involved.

“It’s always a joy bringing a touch of sparkle and magic for so many families over the festive season!”

Cinderella runs on the Belgrade’s Main Stage from Wednesday November 22 to Saturday January 13.

Earlybird tickets are available until August 31 priced from £11 for kids, £16 for adults and £43 for families.

To book, call the Belgrade Theatre Box Office on 024 7655 3055 or visit the Belgrade Theatre website http://www.belgrade.co.uk where tickets are cheaper.

Oh no they didn't! :lol:

Re: Hundreds turn out for Cinderella auditions at Belgrade Theatre

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 am

Oh yes they did :yellow_grin:

Re: Hundreds turn out for Cinderella auditions at Belgrade Theatre

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Belgrade Theatre's Cinderella panto is "unforgettable evening of Christmas entertainment"

If you’re searching for a Christmas show there’s no shortage of wonderful options across the Midlands.

But Coventry’s is consistently one of the best, and this year’s show is no exception.

Smack bang in the centre of the city the Belgrade is the perfect spot for a panto, and the cast, crew, set and script more than do the venue justice.

It’s also a proper Coventry pantomime - including several jokes at the expense of Nuneaton.

So if you’re in two minds about attending this year’s festive show don’t be - it’s another unforgettable evening of Christmas entertainment from people who really know what they’re doing.

Some Christmas shows have ideas above their station and can be a little high brow.

This is not that sort of pantomime. It’s fantastic fun right from the word go and pitched perfectly for kids of all ages.

A minute doesn’t go by without a belly laugh or two, and when things don’t go exactly to plan the cast don’t try and hide it - they laugh about it.

If you’re an adult and you dread the thought of panto time you’ll probably be ok at the Belgrade.

Yes, it’s extremely silly, but there is more than enough to keep adults entertained.

Gentle innuendo is in plentiful supply, but it never descends into anything close to offensive.

There’s no shortage of pantomime experience in the Belgrade Theatre cast.

Writer, director and one of the ugly sisters, Iain Lauchlan is a veteran of the Belgrade and is, as ever, on fine form.

The real star though is Craig Hollingsworth who, as Buttons, is the heartbeat of the show.

Whether it’s delivering scripted lines or something off the cuff, just about everything he says leads to a laugh.

Almost all of the audience participation is centred around him, and every kid I was near was in fits of giggles whenever he arrived on stage.

Your typical panto set is usually fairly magical, but the Belgrade’s is truly special.

The moment when Cinders leaves for the ball will genuinely take your breath away and drew a big round of applause.

Similarly the costumes, hair and make-up are intricate, elaborate and really great fun.

The true acid test is how the kids reacted. Despite an exhausting week at school my four-year-old was enthralled until the end.

He laughed, shouted and cheered as loudly as anyone else.

And, three days on, he is still repeating lines from the show. Almost constantly.

Cinderella is on at the Belgrade Theatre until January 13. For more information click here.

Write comments