Jackie the Musical is coming to Coventry next month

Jackie the Musical is coming to Coventry next month

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:57 pm

Written by Mike James, with choreography by Arlene Phillips and directed by Anna Linstrum, Jackie The Musical will play at the Belgrade Theatre from March 15 to March 19.

Once there was a time with no mobile phones, no apps, no texting, no e-mails and no Twitter.

Angst ridden teenage girls waited with bated breath by the letterbox for their weekly issue of Jackie Magazine... unless their big sister got there first!

Jackie accompanied millions of girls through their teenage years in the 1970’s and 1980’s, years of boy trouble, ironing hair and problem solving from resident agony aunts, Cathy and Claire.

The magazine supported and inspired those girls and, best of all, it was great fun.

Jackie The Musical revisits those heady days, and tells the story of a fifty-something divorcée who revisits her stash of well-thumbed Jackie magazines for the same reason she first read them nearly forty years ago: advice on how best to navigate the opposite sex.

Funny and feisty, with a sound track featuring the era’s most beloved and memorable hits, including the sounds of Pop Idols Donny Osmond, David Cassidy and Marc Bolan played live on stage, the show promises a whirlwind tour of Planet Seventies and a most fabulous night out.

Janet Dibley plays the title role, after becoming a household name in the 1980s after co-starring with Nicholas Lyndhurst in ITV’s primetime The Two of Us.

She went on to star as Lorna Cartwright in Eastenders, Carol McGarry in four series of Kay Mellor’s Fat Friends, Deborah Johnson in The Chase and most recently as Chaz Moore in Broadchurch.

Best known for his role as Anthony Trueman in EastEnders, Nicholas Bailey will star alongside Janet, with Graham Bickley and Nicholas Bailey completing the cast.

Nina Myskow says: “I’m so proud to have been editor of Jackie in its golden years in the 70’s.

“It always was a girl’s best friend, but I could never have imagined then that its spirit of fun and warmth would live on to become a musical today.

"It’s such a brilliant idea, and I’m absolutely thrilled that I’m going to be involved, all over again.

"How exciting!

“And I can’t wait to see it, to hear the music, and to be transported back to a time when we were all young, and not just young at heart.”

Tickets are priced from £23.50 - £34.50.

For tickets, call the Belgrade Box Office on 024 7655 3055 or visit here

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Stage