Christmas comedy 'Oh No It Isn't!' returns to the Belgrade

Christmas comedy 'Oh No It Isn't!' returns to the Belgrade

Postby dutchman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Last year, Nick Walker’s very funny alternative panto for grown-ups became the best-selling Christmas show in the B2 studio

It’s just another working day in the Oh No It Isn’t! rehearsal room.

One half of Daisy the Cow, actor Tom Shepherd, is walking around in a pair of purple Y-fronts; while the other half, Richard Kidd, is leaning against the prop table with his udders hanging out.

Last year Nick Walker’s very funny alternative panto for grown-ups became the best-selling Christmas show in the Belgrade Theatre’s B2 studio. It returns for a second year with Katy Stephens, Richard Kidd and two new cast members.

Dad-of-two Nick, who lives in Earlsdon, said: “I’ve always loved the backstage drama in theatre, and so I wanted to write a story which allows us to get an unwholesome kick out of witnessing the personal tragedy of the actors putting on Jack and the Beanstalk.

“The first half takes place backstage, and second half takes place front stage. Next time you see a traditional pantomime you’ll be wondering what dark drama is going on in the wings.

“The worst dramas are usually to do with illness like some horrible stomach bug when there’s buckets in the wings. Occasionally there are catastrophic relationships which blow up and they have to get through the run.

“We have been rehearsing for a week and there’s been no drama, but Richard nearly broke his thumb doing some Daisy the Cow moves. But I do not want there to be any dramas!”

Oh No It Isn’t! allows the audience to go backstage and witness four actors putting on their own version of Jack and the Beanstalk.

But the cast are caught up in a plot to kill one other. A prop gun is swapped for a real Viennese-imported Glock pistol and a poisoned apple.

Nick says: “I’m hoping those who didn’t get to see it last year will come, and those who did will see it again – they know how it works now.”

Oh No It Isn’t! runs from December 6 to December 27 in the B2 Auditorium. Tickets start from £9. Ring 024 7655 3055 or go to http://www.belgrade.co.uk.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Stage