Butts College Theatre to reopen in time for Christmas

Butts College Theatre to reopen in time for Christmas

Postby dutchman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 pm

The curtain is set to rise again at one of Coventry’s biggest amateur theatres – in time for Christmas.

After a three-year interval, The Butts Theatre at the former City College building is getting ready to reopen.

The historic community venue – used for years by schools and community groups to stage shows – shut its doors in January 2009 as part of the Earlsdon Park development.

But after the tireless efforts of the community, led by the Albany Theatre Trust, and the help of a lawyer with a love for amateur dramatics, the venue is being restored to its former glory in time for Christmas.

John Rouse, a solicitor at Leamington-based Wright Hassall, donated his time to advise on legal matters, which allowed the trust to manage their limited resources in the most cost-effective way.

He got involved after noticing the impact the closure was having on local drama societies, including Stagecraft of which he and his children are members.

Mr Rouse said: “I have a long-standing connection with amateur dramatics in the area and my children often appear in shows too.

“We just felt it was such a shame that the theatre was sat there unused and when I was approached I wanted to help out in any way I could.

“As soon as you get inside you see that it still has that atmosphere and magic of a special theatre so we can’t wait to see it open again.”

Since its formation in July 2010, the Trust has managed the theatre’s assets, raised refurbishment funds and co-ordinated the work of more than 50 advisers and associates who have given up their time to restore the theatre.

Members of the community can find out how they can contribute at the 650-seater theatre on Sunday at 2.30pm.

The trust’s chairman David Meredith said: “For a process like this to be successful we must rely on the input of a lot people, such as John, from the community – it requires a lot of good will.

For example, when we were first allowed back into the theatre a few weeks ago it was full of cabinets and all sorts of things that had to be removed, which people came in and did.

“It is currently being renovated and much of the work is being done for free, we are just paying for the materials.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Stage