David Essex heads to Belgrade for 'All The Fun Of The Fair'

David Essex heads to Belgrade for 'All The Fun Of The Fair'

Postby dutchman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Eastender David Essex is heading to Coventry direct from the West End.

Picture by Paul Mitchell

The singer who made girls swoon in the 1970s and 80s with hit songs like Hold Me Close, Rock On and Gonna Make You A Star comes to the city next week with new musical All The Fun Of The Fair.

There’s dodgems and motorbikes, crafty cons and candy floss and Essex hits galore alongside new songs written specially for the show.

It’s a return to the stage for the performer after stirring up trouble on Albert Square as ex-boxer Eddie Moon ... the dad of EastEnders regular Michael Moon and Alfie’s uncle.

The 64-year-old has sold millions of albums and singles worldwide over the years, including 23 top 30 singles in Britain alone and 16 top 40 albums.

But All The Fun Of The Fair is a project close to his heart and the tour follows a record-breaking season in London’s West End season and is inspired by David’s album of the same name.

The tale about an East End fairground family sees David playing recently widowed funfair owner Levi Lee trying to bring up a rebellious teen son.

Created by David and Boogie Nights creator Jon Conway, there are hopes to turn the show into a movie.

“It would be good,” smiles David, “and I’m supposed to be doing another film about boxing so there is a lot going on – but I’m here and I’m enjoying myself.”

And could Eddie Moon return to Albert Square one day?

“It’s important to me that Eddie is a character and it’s not David Essex,” he says. “I’m touring with All The Fun Of The Fair and I’m not sure what will happen after that – we’ve been having some chats to see where it’s going and if Eddie can come back.”

* All The Fun Of The Fair opens at the Belgrade Theatre, Coventry, on Monday for a week-long run. Box office 024 7655 3055.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Stage