Review: Mother Goose at the Belgrade Theatre

Review: Mother Goose at the Belgrade Theatre

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Mother Goose, 2hrs 6mins, Belgrade Theatre, Until Jan 7.

THANKS for the memories! It’s been nigh on 30 years since I last attended a pantomime at The Belgrade and although I was apprehensive about how far the enjoyment levels would stretch, I must say Mother Goose and its superb cast put a welcome smile on my face.

A smashing and enjoyable two hours-plus of non-stop fun, joviality and song and dance that enthralled the packed stalls and left me wondering why I have left it so long since my last visit to the now superbly refurbished theatre.

Taking centre stage was the hilarious Mother Goose, played by Andy Hockley, whose cultured and hugely talented skills will be sorely missed in Coventry’s foremost acting arena as the curtain comes down on the city’s most famous Dame.

His Belgrade career ends this season after having entertained and put a glittering glow in the hearts of theatre-goers for the last 16 pantos.

And if anyone is going out on a high, then it’s Andy.

He was the star of a wonderful show that not only grabbed my hard-to-please imagination but also that of my two young granddaughters, who hardly moved a muscle as they laughed and shouted their way through a barrage of those age-old adages and jokes which have been spoken a million times but which never age.

Mother Goose certainly laid a real beauty of an entertainment egg this time around.

One-liners, intriguing plots and ludicrous set-pieces were on the menu as the world’s best known panto bird strived to see off the charms of the devilish bad Demon King (Ian Knauer) and the wicked schemes of Squire Spartikus Skinflint before going on a spectacular journey along with her trusted sons Jack and Archie from magic pools to weird enchanted worlds awash with many hidden dangers.

Would good overcome evil and would Mother Goose survive her ordeals and return to her village (the intriguingly named Middle Widdle-on-the-Twiddle)?

That’s a question you can answer simply by treating yourself to a night to remember at The Belgrade before the curtain comes down.

Review by Derek Brown

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Stage