Norwich City 2 - 1 Coventry City

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Norwich City 2 - 1 Coventry City

Postby dutchman » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:36 pm

Norwich come from behind to beat 10-man Coventry

Borja Sainz's late goal gave Norwich City victory over 10-man Coventry City at Carrow Road and boosted their push for the Championship play-offs.

Callum O'Hare gave the visitors the lead early in the second half, but after Josh Sargent equalised and Coventry's Liam Kitching was sent off, Sainz scored the winner.

The Spaniard exchanged passes with Ashley Barnes and then beautifully curled his shot into the net.

It lifted Norwich to eighth in the table, and a point outside the play-offs, a place below the Sky Blues, who dropped out of the top six.

After a goalless first half, the in-form O'Hare opened the scoring in superb fashion, weaving his way into the penalty area and evading a couple of challenges before slotting past keeper Angus Gunn.

Norwich hit back on the hour mark. Barnes was teed up by Gabriel Sara and after the striker's shot was blocked, USA striker Sargent was on hand to fire home.

Kitching was red-carded on 71 minutes for bringing down Sargent, who would have been through on goal.

Coventry remained a threat, however, and Gunn produced a brilliant save to deny Kasey Palmer and keep the Canaries on level terms.

It proved to be a vital stop as David Wagner's side went on to take all three points and continue their steady climb up the table.

Their home form has been a key factor in their change of fortunes - they are now unbeaten in their past seven matches at Carrow Road.

Coventry boss Mark Robins told BBC CWR:

"I'm fuming. You get a sending-off and it can cost you. The referee couldn't wait to get the card out of his pocket.

"We go down to 10 men and then have the best chances of the game and there were some really good bits of football played when we were down to 10 men as well as when we were full-strength.

"I'm gutted for the players, because we put a lot of work into the game for no points out of it. We're hurting a little bit.

"I'm really not happy with the way things have panned out today, because we didn't deserve the defeat, that's for sure. I think Norwich have been really lucky."

:bbc_sport_logo:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues