Coventry City 1 - 1 Bristol City

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry City 1 - 1 Bristol City

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:30 pm

Sky Blues give up lead amid more frustration up front

Coventry City had to settle for a New Year’s Day point after giving up an early lead against Bristol City at the CBS Arena.

The Sky Blues started the first half brightly and took a deserved lead from the head of Jake Bidwell, but the Robins pulled level just before the half hour mark and could have taken the lead before the break in a wide open game.

City regained the initiative after the break but struggled to find the quality to bag the all-important second goal to secure a win.

The home side got off to a really positive start and could have been in front as early as the third minute when Kasey Palmer played Martyn Waghorn through in the box, only for the goalkeeper to deny the striker’s left-footed effort.

The Sky Blues then took a deserved lead with a brilliantly worked goal that started from a long ball up to Gyokeres, who played a lovely exchange with Gus Hamer who sent in a low cross to the six-yard box which Waghorn connected with to force Max O’Leary into a good save, only for Jake Bidwell to nod home the loose ball as it hung tantalisingly at shoulder height from two yards out.

Coventry had Bristol’s poor finishing to thank minutes later when Nahki Wells headed wide from close range as the visitors enjoyed a bit of set-piece pressure with four corners in quick succession as they pushed for a quick equaliser.

And that leveller finally came in the 28th minute when City failed to clear a ball in from the left which was turned home by Antoine Semenyo from close range to make it 1-1.

Mark Robins’ men started the second half as they had the first, with plenty of attacking endeavour sparked by the excellent Palmer who played Gyokeres in twice in quick succession, only for the striker to be denied by some last ditch defending. The manager then made three changes just after the hour with Fabio Tavares, Fankaty Dabo and Ben Sheaf going on for Waghorn, Kane and Palmer in a bid to find a winning goal. But although there was plenty of effort, City simply couldn't find the quality to find the back of the net.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry City 1 - 1 Bristol City

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:33 pm

Coventry and Bristol City share points in draw

Coventry City and Bristol City shared the points as both sides played out their second successive draw at the CBS Arena.

Jake Bidwell opened the scoring for the Sky Blues after 12 minutes, heading in from close range.

Antoine Semenyo drew Bristol City level just before the half-hour mark, slotting the ball in on the rebound for his fifth goal of the campaign.

Robins forward Andreas Weimann then saw a shot blocked on the line deep in the second half as the two teams failed to break the deadlock.

Coventry - who played out a goalless draw with Cardiff midweek - remain in 13th place in the table.

Bristol City, who similarly drew 0-0 away to Millwall in their previous match, stay 19th and now have only one win in their past 10 as manager Nigel Pearson tries to ease some of the pressure.

It was Coventry who started the better of the two sides with Martyn Waghorn forcing a save out of Max O'Leary inside two minutes.

Left-back Bidwell then put the Sky Blues in front with his first goal of the campaign, after neat play down the right from Gustavo Hamer saw the ball played into the box. While O'Leary did well to deny Bidwell's first effort, the rebound fell straight back into his path and the defender just had to nod the ball in from inches out.

Bristol City have been a threat going forward most of the season and Semenyo equalised a short while later with his first goal since returning from World Cup action with Ghana last month.

The 22-year-old started the move by breaking down the right, and while Nahki Wells' shot was blocked, Semenyo didn't miss as it fell to his feet, slotting the ball beyond Ben Wilson for his fifth goal this season.

With momentum in their favour, Viktor Gyokeres then made a goal-saving header off the line to deny Kal Naismith from turning a corner home and putting Bristol City in front.

Coventry again started brighter after the break as Waghorn saw a shot go wide, while Zak Vyner made a perfectly timed sliding tackle to deny Gyokeres another goal, but it turned into a half with few clear-cut chances.

When Semenyo broke again down the right and cut the ball back into the box late on, it seemed certain Weimann had scored the winner for the visitors. But Callum Doyle was there to make an excellent block to deny the Austrian at the back post, as both sides had to settle for a point.

Coventry City manager Mark Robins told BBC Radio C&W:

"I thought that we were the brighter team to start the game. We came up against a side who have got a really experienced and powerful front three. They've got some quality sprinkled around the team.

"What we did to start the game, well, we took control of it. I thought we were on the front foot. I think that you could tell that both sides were tired - up and down the games, Premier League games yesterday you could tell. It's difficult, but what I've said to them in there is that they've dug in.

"I thought that we were the side that might have gone and won it, especially towards the last 15 minutes I thought that we were OK.

"I thought that they had a breakaway that had the chance that was stopped on the line, I think it was offside so it wouldn't have made any difference anyway, but other than that I thought that we've been OK without being scintillating, without being full of energy - and I think that's probably the main thing."

:bbc_sport_logo:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues