Coventry City v Huddersfield Town: Game called off as Sky Blues start work on pitch

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry City v Huddersfield Town: Game called off as Sky Blues start work on pitch

Postby dutchman » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:40 am

Coventry's Championship game against Huddersfield on Saturday is off as they start work on the pitch at their Wasps-owned Coventry Building Society Arena

It is City's third postponement this season following pitch damage caused by hosting rugby sevens matches at the stadium during the Commonwealth Games.

The English Football League says it considered the fixture being played at Huddersfield's John Smith's Stadium.

But that was deemed not possible given the timescales involved.

The EFL added that it "welcomes the news that the club and the CBS Arena have accepted the recommendations of internationally-recognised sports turf experts to undertake a re-lay of substantial parts of the pitch to try and avoid further issues for the remainder of the season."

The Sky Blues have so far postponed home games against Wigan Athletic and Rotherham United, and the Carabao Cup first-round tie with Bristol City - which was switched at short notice to Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium.

All parties are hoping that the work will be completed in time for City's next scheduled home game, against Preston North End on Wednesday, 31 August.

City have issued a statement to say that the work will cost a six-figure sum to put right - and the key issue will be who foots the bill at their rented home, which was bought by Premiership rugby club Wasps, with the help of Coventry City Council, in December 2014.

New synthetic fibres will be stitched into the ground throughout the pitch to give increased stability to the existing surface and then allow for better growth.

The statement added that "areas which have been more widely damaged will be subject to extensive and increased maintenance work so they can be fully integrated with the existing pitch".

West Midlands mayor Andy Street was brought in to help mediate to between City and their financially-challenged landlords - in what is just the latest disagreement between the two clubs.

"I hope that Championship football can resume at the CBS as quickly as possible," Street said in a statement.

"A number of conversations have taken place and I am pleased to confirm that progress has been made. Coventry City and Wasps appear to have found a solution.

"As mayor, I've always been willing to try to play my part in helping to step in and resolve disputes across our region."

On Monday, City chief executive Dave Boddy urged the rugby club to lay a new pitch as soon as possible.

:bbc_sport_logo:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues