Nottingham Forest 2 - 1 Coventry City

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Nottingham Forest 2 - 1 Coventry City

Postby dutchman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:12 am

The Sky Blues suffered last minute agony against Midland rivals Nottingham Forest at the City Ground


Coventry City were the architects of their own downfall when they conceded a last minute penalty to deny them what would have been a thoroughly deserved point against Nottingham Forest.

Callum O’Hare appeared to have rescued a valuable point for the Sky Blues who fell behind to a scrappy first half goal from Scott Mckenna.

And Mark Robins's men looked the more likely to go on to win the game at the City Ground until deep in stoppage time when Kyle McFadzean brought down Lyle Taylor at the death, leaving the striker to score the winner from the spot with the last kick of the game.

It was a hammer blow to the visitors and costly and cruel lesson on how not to see out a game at this level.

City made a positive start to the night, putting themselves about well and enjoying plenty of early possession as they attempted to take the game to the home side who steadily grew into the match.

And it was Marko Marosi who was the first keeper to be tested when Anthony Knockaert hit a powerful shot from outside the box that bobbled awkwardly in front of him, forcing him to push it out for a corner.

Gus Hamer hit City’s first shot of the game, his volley over the bar not coming until the 27th minute as the visitors struggled to create clear cut openings against a tight and well organised back four.

But the Sky Blues found themselves a goal down three minutes later when Luke Freeman had a shot blocked, the ball falling to Samba Sow whose own effort wriggled through to centre-half Scott McKenna to hit a clinical finish as Coventry appealed in vain for off-side.

Robins’s men desperately tried to get back on level terms before the break when they knocked the ball about well but were kept at arm’s length by Forest who constantly pressed them backwards.

City were desperately missing the attacking presence of Fankaty Dabo down the right in a hard working but ultimately fruitless opening half when chances were hard to come by.

That deficiency improved after the break when the visitors were a lot more lively and carved out their first real, clear cut chance when a slick back to front move saw Gus Hamer slip Biamou in on the left of the area, leaving the Frenchman to his a low shot across the keeper that thumped the foot of the far post and bounced kindly to a red shirt, allowing Forest to clear the danger.

Coventry were forced to make a change in the 55th minute when Matty Godden limped off injured, replaced by Tyler Walker who was making his first return to his boyhood club.

And found themselves back on level terms in the 57th minute when Sam McCallum sent in a delightful angled cross into the box where Callum O’Hare timed his run to perfection to nip in behind and head home past the helpless keeper Brice Samba.

It was a simple but lovely header from the lively attacking midfielder and a fully deserved reward for City’s confident start to the second period, which continued with Walker heading wide and Ben Sheaf testing the keeper from distance.

Biamou headed straight at the keeper from the first of three set-pieces as the Sky Blues looked the more likely to find another goal, which almost came in the 76th minute when O’Hare showed quick feet in the box, only to be denied by a good save by Samba.

The Forest keeper then raced out and took out Walker to spark a row between the two management camps as the striker required lengthy treatment ahead of a frantic end to the game with City going all out for the win.

But a mis-placed pass from Biamou sparked a Forest counter attack with 90+6 minutes on the clock, and Tayler was brought down in the area by McFadzean, leaving the home striker to grab the full three points.

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 37134
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Re: Nottingham Forest 2 - 1 Coventry City

Postby dutchman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:14 am

Lyle Taylor's stoppage-time penalty earned Nottingham Forest a first home win in eight games after Coventry City's second-half revival threatened to deny them the points


Taylor stepped up coolly with seven minutes of added time up, slamming the ball wide of Marko Marosi in the Coventry goal to settle it.

Forest had gone in front in a dominant first 45 minutes, Scott McKenna firing in after shots from Samba Sow and Luke Freeman were blocked.

City were much improved after half-time, with Maxime Diamou striking a post before Callum O'Hare glanced in an equaliser from a brilliant in-swinging cross.

They had the chance to win it when O'Hare danced through but Brice Samba turned his shot away, and Forest struck late on after Taylor went tumbling in the box deep into injury time.

Forest boss Chris Hughton saw evidence of Forest's fragile confidence as they struggled to cling on to the lead at the City Ground, which has become a home for anxiety rather than a fortress.

But the win put them 20th in the table, two points clear of the bottom three, with Coventry immediately below them.

The hosts had no problems getting off to a good start, with Anthony Knockaert at the heart of their best work, forcing a panicky save from Marosi and teeing up a chance for McKenna, who was unable to bury his header.

However, City - who ended their own seven-game winless run with a home win over high-fliers Reading at the weekend - were more positive after half-time and chipped away at Forest's brittle belief.

Gustavo Hamer took over the chief playmaking baton, teeing up Diamou for his woodwork-rattling effort and after O'Hare had netted, he came close to giving Coventry the lead when he danced in behind but was denied by Samba.

Forest would have felt relieved to pick up anything at that stage but snatched victory when a surge by Taylor was clumsily ended by Kyle McFadzean's lunge, and the former Charlton forward stayed calm to find the net with the last kick of the game.

Nottingham Forest boss Chris Hughton told BBC Radio Nottingham:

"It was very much a game of two halves. We didn't make the most of the possession we had and didn't create enough shots at goal.

"We didn't start the second half very well, which surprised me. But it's a good feeling to get that win. We've gone in at half-time 1-0 up, so there should have been that feel good factor in the team.

"When they got the goal, you might have thought if one side was going to go on and win it, then it might have been them."

Coventry boss Mark Robins told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire:

"It was harsh, to concede the way we did on both the two goals was poor. It was poor decision making.

"Coming off with a point we'd have been disappointed, I thought we did particularly well second half, much better, and weren't too bad in the first half either.

"We got back into the game with a really good goal, we hit the post and had numerous chances to finish it off and then at the end of it shoot ourselves in the foot by giving a chance away and there was no time to come back.

"You don't give Lyle Taylor the chance to throw himself to the floor. He still had to score it, and he picked himself up off the floor and scored it."

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 37134
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to Sky Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

  • Ads