Coventry City 1 - 3 AFC Bournemouth

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry City 1 - 3 AFC Bournemouth

Postby dutchman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:55 pm

AFC Bournemouth moved to the top of the Championship, albeit temporarily at least, with victory over 10-man Coventry City in a feisty encounter at St Andrews

Jefferson Lerma and two second-half goals by Dan Gosling secured the win, after a first-half equaliser from Coventry striker Matt Godden from the penalty spot.

City's chief playmaker Gustavo Hamer was sent off following a scuffle with Bournemouth skipper Steve Cook, who was booked after a naughty challenge from Adam Smith on Fakanty Dabo, but by that stage they already trailed 3-1.

This was a largely comfortable display from the Cherries, who have now won three and drawn one of their opening four games in the second tier following relegation.

Coventry, also back in the division after promotion as League One champions, caused problems in flashes but were unable to create the chances to truly trouble keeper Asmir Begovic.

Promotion is a major ambition for Jason Tindall's south coast side and they showed that intent early on the trip to the West Midlands, as Lerma slammed home from the edge of the box to cement their early dominance.

Dominic Solanke was then denied by goalkeeper Marko Marosi and Dominic Hyam as the visitors continued to press, only for Bournemouth to have their lead wiped out before the break.

Shortly after Callum O'Hare brushed the post with a rare opportunity for the Sky Blues, Ben Sheaf was felled in the box by Lewis Cook and Godden stepped to fire an unlikely equaliser from the spot.

The Cherries cranked up a gear after half-time and stamped their authority with a double from Gosling.

The former Everton and Newcastle midfielder finished off Solanke's saved shot from close range, and then won a 50-50 with Hamer before thundering a low 25-yard shot cleanly past Marosi.

Any hopes of clawing their way back into the game ended when Hamer lashed out at Cook, despite neither player being involved in the initial challenge, leaving Bournemouth to cruise their way to victory without further incident.

Coventry City boss Mark Robins told BBC CWR: "Against a team that's just come down from the Premier League it was an eyeopener for everybody.

"You know you're going to come up against players and teams in this league that are better and tonight was one of those nights.

[On Gustavo Hamer's red card] "The sending off didn't do us any favours. Having said that I think it's a really harsh sending off and a harsh lesson for Gus.

"I don't know what the referee's thinking is. He's touched his face. As soon as you do that, it makes the referee make a decision."

Bournemouth manager Jason Tindall told BBC Radio Solent: "I thought it was a good all-round performance.

"We got off to a good start and we pressed very well for the majority of the game and we created a number of chances.

"I'm just disappointed we didn't score a couple more goals.

[On the red card] "I didn't have a real clear view of it but if you raise your hands towards someone's face it's decision the referee has to make.

"It almost played into our hands and made the game a little more comfortable."

:bbc_sport_logo:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues