Coventry City 1 - 0 Sunderland

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry City 1 - 0 Sunderland

Postby dutchman » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:33 pm

Godden sends Sky Blues top


Coventry City moved to top of League One after a hard-fought victory over fierce promotion rivals Sunderland.

The Sky Blues are two points clear after a single Matty Godden goal sank the Black Cats in a nervy game in front of the Sky cameras at St Andrew’s.

The leading scorer found the back of the net with just a minute and 35 seconds on the clock but Mark Robins’s men were far from comfortable as Sunderland bombarded them with a string of set-pieces throughout a tense affair in Birmingham.

City got off to a brilliant start, getting their noses in front inside the first two minutes when the outstanding Jamie Allen slipped Godden into space in the box, leaving the striker to pick his spot to the bottom right of keeper Jon McLaughlin.

The game quickly settled down with both sides playing decent football and working incredibly hard out of possession to close each other down.

But the visitors spurned the opportunity to pull level on 18 minutes when centre-back Tom Flanagan volleyed over, worryingly unmarked at the far post, from the first of several Chris Maguire set-pieces.

The Black Cats’ defender was picked out again minutes later when he was allowed to send a header into Marko Marosi’s arms while centre-forward Charlie Wyke went close with an angle shot that shaved the far post and later headed over from a corner as the visitors tested Coventry’s defensive resolve to the break.

Robins’s men were guilty of giving away too many free-kicks to invite pressure on themselves in the opening 45 minutes when they struggled to impose their game on the opposition in the final third.

Coventry had a second penalty appeal turned down when Liam Kelly went down under a challenge from Jordan Willis, having been denied in the first half when Godden was barged off the ball in the area.

Referee Michael Salisbury, however, made a huge call in the 74th minute when Max Power thought he’d scored, the midfielder hitting a shot that took a deflection off Luke O’Nien to wrong-foot the keeper to go in.

But City appealed for off-side and, after consulting the linesman, the ref ruled it out.

Amadou Bakayoko was thrown on for the last ten minutes when Kelly sent Godden through on goal from a long ball, only for the striker to hit his shot wide of the target, unable to secure the result.

The visitors continued to push for an equaliser as the game ticked into three nervous minutes of added time but the Sky Blues managed to hang on to secure an impressive three points.

Attendance: 10,055 (3,323 away)

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 36465
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to Sky Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

  • Ads