Coventry City 1 - 1 Rotherham United

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry City 1 - 1 Rotherham United

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:15 pm

Matty Godden strike earns draw in promotion clash


Coventry City came from behind to take a share of the spoils in a fiercely contested top of the table clash at St Andrew’s.

The Millers took the lead against the Sky Blues in another physically imposing display in which they stopped City playing in the first half when they got their noses in front.

The opening goal came after Marko Marosi spilled a near post corner, allowing Freddie Ladapo to nip in and score from close range as Mark Robins’s men struggled to get their game going.

But the ‘home’ side got better as the half went on and continued that into the second half when Matty Godden headed his side back on level terms two minutes into the restart and almost snatched victory at the death with another header that went inches wide.

United set out their stall in the opening 20 minutes when they edged possession and took the game to Coventry with plenty of balls into the box.

Marosi was called upon to parry powerful shots from Ladapo and Chiedozie Ogbene on 21 and 22 minutes but the keeper – who has been superb throughout the season so far – dropped a catch from a corner in the 23rd and Ladapo was on hand to turn it over the line and give the visitors the lead.

Marosi, however, pulled off a brilliant save to deny the striker doubling the lead on the half hour mark as the Millers continued to impose themselves with their physicality getting the better of Robins’s men all over the pitch.

Callum O’Hare was targeted for particular attention, with former City skipper Richard Wood booked for one of a number of fierce challenges on the Villa loan man who wasn’t allowed time and space to get his game going in the opening 45.

There were appeals for a penalty when he appeared to be bundled down in the box but the calls were ignored by the referee.

Coventry improved as the half went on and had their first real chance of the game when Max Biamou sent a glancing header goalwards from a Fankaty Dabo cross, forcing the Daniel Iversen into a decent save.

City started the second half brightly and got themselves back on level terms two minutes into the re-start when Dabo sent in a lovely cross which Godden headed beyond the keeper and into the far bottom corner.

Although a far more even half, the goal seemed to spark United back to life in a real battle for top spot requiring City’s back three to be at their best to keep out a number of set pieces – Kyle McFadzean superb throughout – while at the other end Liam Walsh sent a free-kick wide and went close with an impressive angle shot from 25 yards.

Ryan Giles was sent on ahead of nine minutes of added time due to Millers’ midfielder Daniel Barlaser suffering a serious injury and having to be stretchered off.

And Godden headed narrowly wide of the near post as City enjoyed two late corners, and finished the game the stronger of the two sides.

But a point apiece was probably a fair result on the night and leaves the two sides on 61 points in the top two spots in League One.

Attendance: 8,990 (1,113 Rotherham)

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 36465
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to Sky Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

  • Ads