Fleetwood Town 0-0 Coventry City

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Fleetwood Town 0-0 Coventry City

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:02 am

Sky Blues extend unbeaten run


Coventry City stretched their unbeaten League One run to six games with a decent, hard-fought point at Fleetwood Town.

The Cod Army edged the first half when they produced the only clear cut chance on goal when Ched Evans had a header denied by a decent save, while Liam Walsh tested Alex Cairns for the first time just before the hour in a game of few opportunities in front of goal.

But the Sky Blues kept an impressive fourth consecutive clean sheet in all competitions as they dropped a place to fifth in the table.

There was little to choose between the two sides in a tight first half at Highbury where chances were few and far between on an extremely blustery night on the Lancashire coast.

But the Cod Army had the better of the limited opportunities before the break with Ched Evans getting his head on a cross from the right, only to be denied by a decent reaction save from Marko Marosi, before strike partner Paddy Madden sent a stooping header from a deep, wind-assisted cross narrowly wide of the target.

The closest City came was when Matty Godden hit the post, albeit from an off-side position, and a long ranger shot from Jordan Shipley which failed to trouble the keeper – Coventry’s only shot on target for the entire first 45 minutes.

But the Sky Blues did well against the elements in the opening half when they had the wind against them, and clearly hoped to use the conditions to their advantage in the second period.

Robins made a double change at half-time, sending on Max Biamou and Callum O’Hare for Shipley and Zain Westbrooke and City carved out their best chance of the match to that point on 57 minutes when Liam Walsh turned brilliantly before testing the keeper who made a good save as Biamou couldn’t quite turn in the loose ball.

Marosi came to the rescue for a second time when he stuck out his right leg to deny Evans at his near post as the game opened up more, with both sides going for the win.

Walsh turned provider on 74 minutes when he slipped Fankaty Dabo down the right where the wing-back hit a deflected shot that looped up and looked like it was going to drop into the back of the net until the keeper plucked it out of the air.

City started to build a bit of momentum with the wind on their backs, enjoying their best spell of pressure as the game went into the final ten minutes but couldn’t find a way through a resolute home side.

O'Hare had a penalty appeal waved away in stoppage time as City had to settle for a share of the spoils.

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 36465
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to Sky Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

  • Ads