F.A. Cup: Coventry City 1 Ipswich Town 1

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

F.A. Cup: Coventry City 1 Ipswich Town 1

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Super sub Callum O’Hare earns Sky Blues a replay


Super sub Callum O’Hare earned Coventry City a second round FA Cup replay at Portman Road after scoring a dramatic late equaliser against Ipswich Town.

The Sky Blues are still in the hat for the third round draw but have the prospect of playing their League One promotion rivals three times in short succession after the Aston Villa loan star’s stoppage time leveller at St Andrew’s.

Mark Robins’s side looked to be heading out of the competition after Will Keane gave the Tractor Boys an early second half lead with their first shot on target.

But City battled back and O’Hare made all the difference when he went on and sparked the comeback.

City started with plenty of intent, taking just four minutes before testing the keeper for the first time after a slick four-man move resulted in Max Biamou being denied by a decent save from a powerful first time effort.

The visitors enjoyed more possession in the first half, 60-40 in their favour, and knocked it about well without really hurting the Sky Blues, failing to test goalkeeper Marko Marosi for the entire first 45 minutes.

The closest Town got was when midfielder Flynn Downes got on the end of a pull-back to the near post and steered the ball wide of the keeper’s left-hand post.

Coventry didn’t fare that much better with a long range shot and free-kick from Liam Walsh unable to trouble Will Norris, while Dom Hyam sent a diving header well wide just before the break.

City began with good intentions straight from the re-start when Jordan Shipley broke down the left and pulled the ball back to Zain Westbrooke who hit a low first time shot straight at the keeper.

But the home side were punished on 51 minutes when Kyle McFadzean gave the ball away, sparking a swift three-man move that undid City’s defence in seconds, resulting in striker Will Keane tapping home from close range at the near post.

Mark Robins responded by making two changes and switching to two up front with Amadou Bakayoko replacing Westbrooke and lively midfielder Callum O’Hare going on for Shipley.

The switch worked well with O’Hare setting up Liam Kelly for a shot that was cleared off the line while Dom Hyam also had a headed headed off the line as they kept pushing for an equaliser.

The game ran into five minutes of added time when Kelly was denied by a brilliant save before O’Hare dribbled across the edge of the 18-yard box and screwed a hard and low shot back across the keeper and into the bottom corner with a minute to spare – the goal ensuring City will travel to Suffolk for a replay a week on Tuesday.

Attendance: 2,878 with 630 away

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 38177
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to Sky Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Ads