Switch to full style
Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage
Write comments

Rotherham United 4-0 Coventry City

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:28 pm

The Sky Blues were at the New York Stadium looking to maintain their impressive unbeaten start to the League One campaign


Coventry City’s superb unbeaten start to the season came crashing to a halt at Rotherham United where they suffered their first League One defeat of the campaign.

In their worst performance yet, the Sky Blues were rocked to their core by conceding two goals in the space of five first half minutes, and could have been 3-0 down inside 20 after United passed up the opportunity to punish a sloppy looking City.

Trailing 2-0 at the break, they then pressed the self destruct button when Kyle McFadzean conceded a second Coventry penalty and was sent off with a straight red card, leaving Michael Smith to score his second from the spot before Matt Crooks sealed the dreadful defeat with his second, and United’s fourth of the afternoon.

Powerful midfielder Crooks got the Millers on the front foot when he was allowed to get on the end of a Smith cross and head down and past Marko Marosi in the 13th minute.

Coventry shot themselves in the foot five minutes later when they conceded their first penalty when McFadzean played a short back pass to Marosi who was sucked into a challenge on Smith, the striker going down near the byline.

He stepped up and made no mistake as he powered his shot past keeper to double the lead from what was a dreadful start from the visitors who almost found themselves trailing by a third shortly after when a stray pass to Jake Hastie invited more danger.

The lively left winger went through on goal with his shot blocked by the keeper before the rebound fell straight to Crooks who had a follow-up shot that was blocked by Dom Hyam.

City simply didn’t offer enough going forward in a first 45 to forget at the New York Stadium, where they managed a paltry three attempts on goal with none hitting the target.

Matty Godden was the first player to test the home keeper in the 53rd minute with a well struck angled shot but City pressed the self destruct button again just before the hour when McFadzean conceded a penalty for a foul on Crooks and was promptly sent off with a straight red card.

Up stepped Smith to convert his second spot-kick of the afternoon, slotting low to Marosi’s left to practically kill the game with just 58 minutes on the clock.

There was a short delay after City fans threw a couple of smoke bombs onto the pitch – the first of two stoppages for that reason – but it didn’t take long for United to seal their emphatic victory when Crooks took advantage of a mix-up between Dom Hyam and the keeper, leaving the midfielder to slot into an empty net and cap an embarrassing afternoon for the Sky Blues in a game that saw 11 minutes added for stoppages because of smoke bombs.

Attendance: 10,337 (2,567 City)


Re: Rotherham United 4-0 Coventry City

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:32 pm

Smoke bombs thrown onto pitch causes delay to Coventry City's clash with Rotherham United


Smoke bombs being thrown onto the pitch caused a delay to Coventry City's League One clash at Rotherham United.

There were a couple of smoke bombs thrown onto the pitch by Sky Blues fans, after the Millers made it 3-0 from the penalty spot in the second half.

It was Rotherham's second spot-kick of the match, Michael Smith converting both of them, after Matt Crooks had opened the scoring on 13 minutes.

Coventry defender Kyle McFadzean gave away the second penalty with a foul inside the box - and was promptly shown a red card, leaving Mark Robins' side down to 10 men and staring at their first league defeat of the season.

Once the match restarted, Rotherham added a fourth goal through Crooks.

Write comments