Coventry City 2 Wimbledon 1

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry City 2 Wimbledon 1

Postby dutchman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Jordy Hiwula and Liam Walsh seal comeback win


Coventry City had to come from behind again to chalk up their fifth straight win at St Andrew’s to maintain their slender lead at the top of League One.

The Sky Blues conceded an early penalty to third from bottom AFC Wimbledon but battled back level before the break when Jordy Hiwula rounded the keeper in a frantic first half.

And just when it looked like City were going to have to settle for a point despite dominating the second half, Liam Walsh drilled home a dramatic stoppage time winner.

City got off to another poor start, as they did against Blackpool in their previous ‘home’ game, when Walsh conceded an eighth minute penalty under pressure in the box.

It all started with a Kyle McFadzean backpass to the keeper who played a poor pass out to Walsh who had three Wimbledon players nearby.

As the midfielder controlled the ball he was closed down and then brought down former City loan man Michael Folivi as he tried to recover, conceding the early spot-kick which Marcus Forss promptly converted by sending the keeper the wrong way.

Jordy Hiwula was denied by a tackle by Dons’ stopper Nathan Trott minutes later as City looked to get back on level terms with immediate effect, and had the fortune of a glaring miss to thank for the visitors not doubling their lead on 18 minutes when Folivi sent a free header over the bar from six yards out.

Coventry, however, got themselves back in the game from a terrific move when Jordan Shipley split the defence with a lovely through ball to play Hiwula in on goal.

Trott came racing off his line to make a tackle but the striker managed to keep possession and pulled wide before slotting in from an angle.

The goal scorer then had the chance to hand his side the lead on the half hour when Matty Godden played him in again, but the forward fired disappointingly wide of the target.

Callum O’Hare was then denied by a decent low save by the keeper before the break as Coventry finished the half strongly, looking to get themselves in front before the interval.

The Sky Blues started the second half the way they had finished the first, almost grabbing the all-important second goal when Wesley Jobello sent in a searching early into the box which Matty Godden got on the end, only to be denied by a block by the keeper.

Enjoying plenty of possession, City attacked at will but chances appeared hard to come by against a well organised defence desperate to hang on to a point.

But the players kept probing and finally got their rewards when on-loan Walsh drilled home after being set up by Shipley, with barely a minute left on the clock amid three minutes of stoppage time.

Attendance: 5,239 (330 away)

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 34925
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to Sky Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Ads