Coventry City 3 Blackpool 2

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry City 3 Blackpool 2

Postby dutchman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:33 pm

Aston Villa loanee Callum O'Hare hits last gasp winner


Super sub Callum O’Hare scored a 90th minute winner to move Coventry City up to second place in the table in a thrilling fourth versus third clash at St Andrew’s.

The Sky Blues battled back from two goals down to beat Blackpool and maintain their impressive unbeaten start to their League One campaign.

Two goals from Matty Godden and Wesley Jobello in the space of five minutes just before the break cancelled out Sullay Kaikai’s first half double in a thoroughly entertaining game in which City showed terrific character.

The visitors, however, started the game at full pelt, getting the ball up to the final third where they sent in a couple of crosses, the second of which from the right fell to the unmarked Kaikai to the left of goal, the No.10 coolly lobbing Marko Marosi from an angle to find the back of the net inside the first minute.

Simon Grayson’s men knocked the ball about confidently and played with a real air of authority, looking to increase their lead in an impressive first half showing in which they looked a constant threat in the final third.

City desperately tried to get themselves back on level terms with Jordan Shipley slipping a lovely ball to send Jordy Hiwula in behind the back three to score, only for the goal to be disallowed for off-side.

Wesley Jobello then cut into space on the right but his low shot went disappointingly straight to the keeper at his near post.

Coventry, however, found themselves two goals down when Kaikai struck again in the 38th minute, the unmarked dangerman slotting home from just outside the six yard box after Blackpool opened up the defence all too easily from a recycled attack.
For all your latest Coventry City news, transfer gossip and opinion, click here

But Robins’s men got themselves back in the game with Godden taking full advantage of a half cleared ball into the box to hit a clinical finish to reduce the deficit four minutes from half-time, before Jobello thumped home into the roof of the net after being set up by Hiwula in first half stoppage time.

The Sky Blues started the second half with some determined attacking play as they finally looked to assert their authority on their opponents in an end to end encounter.

They almost grabbed the lead for the first time in the game when Sam McCallum sent in a diagonal cross to Jobello on the right where the Frenchman knocked it down to Hiwula who hooked a shot goalwards, only for centre-back Curtis Tilt to clear.

But substitute Callum O’Hare grabbed the late winner when he worked his magic in the box and found the back of the net ahead of five frantic minutes of stoppage time when City could have increased their lead further with a chance from Gervane Kastaneer.

Attendance: 6,637 (884 away)

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 35125
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to Sky Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Ads