Switch to full style
Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage
Write comments

Shrewsbury Town 1 - 0 Coventry City

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Shrewsbury Town 1 - 0 Coventry City

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Andy Turner reports from Shropshire


Coventry City continued their miserable winless run with defeat at Shrewsbury Town.

The Shrews, now managed by former Sky Blues skipper Sam Ricketts, inflicted City’s fifth defeat in six League One games in a sequence that has seen the team fail to win for nine matches in all competitions.

Mark Robins’s men simply weren’t in the game in a woeful opening 45 minutes which ended goalless.

They then conceded early in the second half from a set-piece which served to kick Coventry into life, the visitors giving a much better account of themselves after the goal.

But they simply couldn’t find a way through against a well organised back line as they ran out of time at the New Meadow where they were left to rue their disappointing start to the game.

It was a poor first half from the Sky Blues who managed just two attempts on goal and only one on target – a tame Luke Thomas effort straight at the keeper.

City were forced to defend in numbers as Ricketts’s men took the game to the visitors, managing ten attempts themselves, albeit only one on target – a Luke Waterfall header that was cleared off the line by Liam Kelly.

Coventry lacked quality and confidence, and never looked close to scoring in a highly forgettable opening 45 minutes when the break couldn’t come soon enough for Robins to get his players in to sort things out.

They looked to have livened up when Thomas cut into the box and forced the keeper to save at his near post but City suddenly found themselves a goal down when they conceded a free-kick 25 yards out to the right of goal and promptly failed to deal with the in-coming ball.

Dead ball specialist Greg Doherty sent in a threatening ball and no-one tracked the runner, Aaron Amadi-Holloway, who raced in behind to connect with a powerful header to beat Lee Burge.

Robins threw on striker Jordy Hiwula at the expense of the disappointing Abu Ogogo – who was making his first return to New Meadow – shortly after in a bid to provide the spark for City to get back into the game.

Jonson Clarke-Harris put the ball in the back of the net after the keeper saved a Conor Chaplin shot but the goal was ruled out for off-side right in front of the travelling fans.

Liam Kelly went close 12 minutes from time as City enjoyed their best spell in the game, the skipper breaking into the box and hitting a left footed effort that dipped over the bar.

The visitors kept plugging away into five minutes off stoppage time but couldn’t find a way past a resilient home side who held out to secure the full three points.

Attendance: 8,083 (1,649 away)

Write comments