Switch to full style
Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage
Write comments

Fleetwood Town 3 - 0 Coventry City

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Re: Fleetwood Town 3 - 0 Coventry City

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 pm

Sky Blues slump to defeat


Three second half goals put the Sky Blues to the sword to extend their winless run to four League One games (six in all competitions) with defeat at mid-table Fleetwood Town.

Mark Robins’s men were well in the game until the break but were blown away by the Cod Army who grabbed the lead on 53 minutes before wrapping things up with two goals in the space of three minutes in the 71st and 73rd.

City had the chance to pull one back from the penalty spot but it clearly wasn’t their night as Conor Chaplin skied his spot-kick right in front of the now miserable 300-strong Sky Blue Army who had made the near 300-mile round trip to Lancashire.

Both sides tested the keepers in an entertaining first half at the Highbury Stadium before the home side came out all guns blazing after the break and made their pressure count when Dean Marney found the top corner eight minutes in, before Wes Burns and Ched Evans secured the points.

City were left to rue missed opportunities in a bright enough first half on a night when the home keeper kept his side in the game.

Former Fleetwood forward Jordy Hiwula went close to breaking the early deadlock when he cut into the box from the left and forced the keeper to parry at his near post in a pretty open game with end to end action.

The home side knocked the ball about well in the final third while City looked dangerous on the counter attack, with Hiwula the best outlet early on.

Luke Thomas came to life midway through the opening half when he beat two players brilliantly with his pace and skill before cutting into the box and squaring the ball to Conor Chaplin who looked like he couldn’t miss from ten yards out.

But the striker’s attempted side foot was blocked at the last second by the out-stretched boot of goalkeeper Alex Cairns to deny Coventry the lead.

Lee Burge, meanwhile, made two big saves just before the break, first to deny Paddy Madden at his near post before getting down low to make a superb stop on his line to deny Lewie Coyle on the follow up from the resulting corner – a save that was all the more impressive because it was through a pack of players.

Town came flying out of the blocks in the second half when they again tested the keeper, this time Burge making himself big at his near post to deny Wes Burns.

But the City stopper was finally beaten in the 54th minute when Dean Marney hit a powerful shot into the top corner at his near post.

Thomas went close to a quick equaliser with a low shot that was denied by Cains as chances continued to come for both sides.

The home side, however, secured their victory with two goals in the space of three devastating minutes – Burns first being played into space on the right and cutting into the box where he hit a low shot between Burge’s legs.

Ched Evans then killed the game in the 73rd minute when he pulled onto his right foot and hit a a hard and low angled shot across the face of goal to score in the far bottom corner.

Chaplin had the chance to grab a consolation goal from the spot but the striker hit his penalty kick – awarded after Jonson Clarke-Harris was fouled – over the bar, right in front of hard core travelling fans.

Write comments