Veteran Coventry City midfielder Kevin Kilbane retires

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Veteran Coventry City midfielder Kevin Kilbane retires

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Coventry City midfielder Kevin Kilbane has announced his retired - calling time on a career spanning 17 years.

The Republic of Ireland international - who notched up 110 caps for his country - made this announcement this morning.

He did not give a reason for his decision.

Kilbane, aged 35, said: "I would like to thank the directors, coaching staff, players and supporters at Coventry City Football Club for my brief time at the club and wish them all the best for the future."5

The veteran midfielder - whose club career peaked in the Premiership with Sunderland - joined the Sky Blues in the summer.

A series of assured displays during pre-season earned him the captain’s armband at the start of the campaign.

However, he struggled to regain his spot in the team after injury.

Kilbane’s announcement is a further blow for Coventry City, whose entire existence is under threat after Ricoh Arena owners ACL look legal action over the club’s unpaid rent.

The Sky Blues have been given until Boxing Day to pay the £1.1million they owe - or face liquidation.

Steve Waggott, development director for Coventry City Football Club, said: "Kevin has been a great professional throughout his career and we would like to thank him for his services to the club and wish him all the very best in whatever he decides to do in the future."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Veteran Coventry City midfielder Kevin Kilbane retires

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Kilbane considers 'next chapter' after retirement

Former Republic of Ireland international Kevin Kilbane has said he will take some time away from football to think about his future career.

The 35-year-old, who won 110 caps, retired on Saturday after 12 appearances for Coventry.

The Preston-born utility man told BBC Radio Lancashire: "I'm going to take a little time away from the game. I'm going to do a bit of media work.

"I've got a game with 5 live at Goodison on Sunday, Everton-Spurs."

The defender-midfielder added: "We will just see what happens. In the new year, I'll look and my options and see where I'm going to go from there."

Kilbane joined Coventry in July on a one-year deal after leaving Hull and was named captain in August. However he only made 12 appearances for the Sky Blues before retiring.

He said: "It's been in my mind for the last couple of months. It's a big decision. I've had so many memories and have so many things to cherish during my career - that's the only downside, that you're not going to carry on playing.

"It's the next chapter now I've got to look forward to.

"The ultimate highlight of my career was definitely playing in the World Cup in 2002, being part of that really good squad we had."

Sky Blues boss Mark Robins, under whom Kilbane only played twice following his September appointment, praised the veteran's attitude.

"He's been a great professional throughout his career," he told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire. "It happens to everybody. He's decided to close this chapter in his football career and his life and move on to pursue other avenues. I wish him all the best."

:bbc_sport_logo:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues