Martin Cranie opts to leave City after rejecting new deal

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Martin Cranie opts to leave City after rejecting new deal

Postby dutchman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Martin Cranie has left Coventry City after turning down the Sky Blues' offer of a new contract.

Thorn had hoped to convince the versatile defender to agree new terms after his three-year deal expired at the weekend, but the 25-year-old has opted to leave the Ricoh Arena on a free transfer.

Cranie told the Telegraph that although he has enjoyed his time at the club he feels he needs to continue playing in the Championship at this stage of his career, rather than drop down a division.

“I wanted to see what was offered but I have always wanted to stay in the Championship,” said the centre-back whose departure could have a bearing on close friend Richard Keogh’s decision whether sign the contract extension currently on the table for him.

The news is a big blow to Thorn who had been desperate to keep the impressive central defensive pairing together to help mount a promotion campaign.

But he could end up losing both if Cardiff come back with an improved offer City cannot refuse for Keogh’s services which would leave only two senior centre-backs at the club – Richard Wood and Nathan Cameron – the latter of which is still recovering from a knee operation.

Cranie, who joins Sammy Clingan and Clive Platt who have also exercised their right to seek new clubs, added: “Obviously I like it at Coventry but I don’t feel it is right for me at this time and I’m going to look elsewhere.

“I’m grateful to the club for everything it has done for me over the last three years. I’ve had a great time but I think it’s time for me to look for another club.

“The fans have been great with me, as have all the managers I’ve worked with. I’ve played in a few positions and this is the first time I have played week in, week out in a settled position and I’m grateful for that.”

Cranie, who was scouted by Thorn, was bought by Chris Coleman from Portsmouth in August 2009 at a time when City had money to spend in the transfer market.

The former England Under-21 international, who went on to make 120 appearances and score one goal, joined the club a month after Scott Dann and Danny Fox were sold.

He started out and ended his stint at Coventry in his favoured central berth but found himself filling in at full-back for long spells.

“I always wanted to play centre-half but throughout my career I’ve had to play right-back, left-back but thankfully I played most of my games in the middle at Coventry last year which was good for me,” said Cranie who wishes the club every success in their bid to bounce straight back.

“Over the years people have said maybe I’m not big enough to play there but I’ve had the chance to prove that I can play there and do well there.”

He added: “I will still be in contact with the lads.

"Rich Keogh is obviously one of my best mates and I really hope they do well and get straight back up in the new season because they deserve it.

"It’s a good club with a big stadium and it just needs to start moving in the right direction.

“Hopefully they will do that and hopefully they will bring a few new players in and push for promotion.”

As for his own future, he revealed: “I’m in talks with a few clubs but most teams don’t start back for another week so I’ve got this week to get something sorted out.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues