Coventry Telegraph back page: January 25

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry Telegraph back page: January 25

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:12 pm

JAMES McPake insists he’s more than happy to return to Coventry City in the summer in a bid to re-establish his place in the team next season.

The no-nonsense centre-back this week swapped one relegation battle for another when he joined Hibernian, who are currently second from bottom of the Scottish Premier League.

And he is set to be thrown straight in at the deep end in front of around 45,000 fans at Ibrox on Saturday when Hibs take on second-placed Rangers.

“It will be a nice game to play in if I am picked,” said the 27-year-old, whose games have been limited to just three starts and two substitute appearances with the Sky Blues this season.

“I have never asked to leave Coventry, just that I want to play games and I obviously hope to get the games I need now.

“I have a year left at Coventry but for the next four months I will be a Hibs player. But come the summer I will be back down to Coventry when I hope to be a lot fitter.

“I will be more than happy to play for the club again. I have never had a problem with the manager, just wanted to get games, and I am sure the fans understand that.

“This is an opportunity for me and I wish Coventry the very best in the next few months.

“I have got a lot of friends at the club and it will be the first result I will look for on a Saturday afternoon.”

On switching one dog fight for another, the former Livingston skipper said: “That may be the case but both Coventry and Hibs are two big clubs and shouldn’t be in the positions they find themselves.

“Like the boys at Coventry, all the lads up here are upbeat and looking forward to their games. We have got a tough one this weekend against Rangers and it would be nice to play in such a massive game.

“I have played there a few times in my career and it is an amazing atmosphere and huge stadium, and great game for Hibs and I can hopefully help them pick up some points.

“I feel good. I played 75 minutes against Derby the other week and a full game in the reserves the week before that, so I am excited about getting started again.”

*City reserves came from a goal down to draw 1-1 against Oxford yesterday. Shaun Jeffers went on for Icelandic triallist Kjartan Henry Finnbogason at half time and grabbed the goal for the Sky Blues 15 minutes from time.

Retaining his six-game unbeaten record in charge of the second string, Lee Carsley said: “We dominated the game from start to finish really and it was a good run out for the boys who didn’t play at the weekend and who are coming back to fitness.”

Senior players Richard Wood, Freddy Eastwood, Chris Dunn, Carl Baker, Jordan Clarke, Gael Bigirimana and Roy O’Donovan all featured in the match.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues