Coventry Telegraph back page: January 17

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry Telegraph back page: January 17

Postby dutchman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:46 pm

LUKAS Jutkiewicz has hit out at Coventry City’s owners for failing to strengthen the team this season.

The Sky Blues’ leading scorer signed a four-and-a-half year contract with Middlesbrough on Monday, completing a deal worth an initial £1.5million and potentially rising to £2.3million.

And - although delighted with his move - his thoughts are very much with his former team-mates and manager Andy Thorn.

“I am leaving with a heavy heart,” said the 22-year-old, who is swapping a relegation dog fight for a promotion challenge.

“It’s a very difficult situation for everyone involved at Coventry.

"I certainly feel really disappointed for them, the way they lost a lot of key players at the end of last season and haven’t replaced them.

“I don’t think the manager has been provided with much support and he’s done well to hold his tongue and keep his dignity because it has been difficult for everyone.

"The players have been frustrated at not being able to see new faces.

“The disappointing thing was that Sisu wrote a letter to the fans back in August/September time saying they had rejected bids for me and promised to bring in loan signings.

"But that didn’t materialise so I can totally understand the fans’ frustration at the lack of new faces.”

Asked if he thinks more of the club’s star players will follow him out of the Ricoh Arena this month, he said: “I’m not privy to that information but I hope they keep hold of as many of the boys as they can.

"I am sure players want to develop their careers but I certainly want to see Coventry stay up.”

The man who waded in with nine goals this season believes City can still get out of trouble.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues