Aston Villa recall Gary Gardner from Sky Blues loan spell

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Aston Villa recall Gary Gardner from Sky Blues loan spell

Postby dutchman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Coventry City’s battle for survival received a fresh body-blow last night when Gary Gardner returned to Aston Villa.

The Sky Blues were hoping to extend the 19-year-old midfielder’s loan deal in the new year but Villa’s mounting injury problems mean that Alex McLeish has recalled him with immediate effect and he will now miss the holiday fixtures against Bristol City, Brighton and West Ham.

Sky Blues boss Andy Thorn admitted: “It’s very disappointing for us but I must admit I was expecting it – Alex has had a dreadful run of injuries and he obviously has to put his own club first.

“We’re very grateful that he allowed Gary to come here and I would love to think that Villa’s problems will clear up over Christmas and Alex will decide that he can spare him again some time in the future.

“But we obviously can’t count on that and we will just have to mix and match with what we’ve got.

“Carl Baker is back in full training after his virus and Gary Deegan has been itching for the chance to prove what he can do, so it’s another opportunity for someone to make a name for himself.”

Gardner, Sky Blues’ only loan player this season, made a spectacular debut when he scored nine minutes into his first senior fixture.

And although his spell at the Ricoh saw City slip to four odd-goal defeats, Thorn has no doubt that he has the talent and temperament to become a major star.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues