Andy Thorn blasts City's 'shameful' performance against Bury

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Andy Thorn blasts City's 'shameful' performance against Bury

Postby dutchman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Coventry City boss Andy Thorn blasted his side’s “shameful” performance last night as a 3-1 defeat at Bury sent them stumbling out of the first round of the Carling Cup for the third successive season.

“That was rubbish,” he said, “and I’m embarrassed that our fans had to watch it.”

Although City took the lead with a scrambled Roy O’Donovan goal they were pegged back before half-time and then scalped by a late double from Ryan Lowe, fast carving a reputation as one of the most dangerous strikers in the lower divisions.

“We did OK in the first half,” said Thorn, “but we had a chat at half-time because for some reason we weren’t doing the right things. I told them what I wanted but we were atrocious in the second half – without doubt the worst performance under me.

“They started popping the ball around better than us and we just didn’t play. Why we all of a sudden started to smash balls 50 yards up the pitch I just don’t know because that’s not what we’re about at all.

“I’ve told them it was embarrassing and my staff and I felt ashamed because the fans sitting in the opposite stand travelled a long way to see that and they deserved a lot better. We created lots of chances which is something but that second half leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

“It’s just not acceptable but that’s where we are at the moment; we need to be better but we need some help.”

Although he clearly feels he needs reinforcements Thorn’s problems were exacerbated last night when centre-half Richard Wood picked up a thigh strain and didn’t appear for the second half.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues