Andy Thorn admits Joe Murphy interest

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Andy Thorn admits Joe Murphy interest

Postby dutchman » Wed May 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Coventry City have confirmed they're interested in Scunthorpe United goalkeeper Joe Murphy if Keiren Westwood does opt to leave the Ricoh Arena on a free.

The Sky Blues have been linked with with the Scunthorpe stopper for a number of years - and manager Andy Thorn admits he’s one of a number of options he has looked at as a possible replacement if Westwood decides to go.

But the manager is still hoping to persuade the Irish international to stay, and has even told him he won’t stand in his way if he signs and a Premier League club come in for him further down the line.

“I have said to Keiren that we would love him to sign a new contract and if someone from the top flight comes in I won’t stand in his way,” said Thorn.

“We will move on to someone else. I have told the boy that. I am certainly not going to stand in people’s way but it is a two way street.”

Westwood is currently nursing a shoulder injury and understood to be waiting for a small operation on the problem.

Asked about the on-going links with Murphy who is available on a free transfer, Thorn admitted: “I am an admirer of Joe Murphy who is a decent keeper and been outstanding in a team that hasn’t particularly done well, and that’s no disrespect to them.

“Obviously we want Keiren to stay but if he doesn’t then I have to have other options and have our ducks in a row and prepare in case we don’t get people to re-sign.

"If we do, fantastic, but we can’t be left up the creek without a paddle.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues