Earlsdon pub to open 1987 FA Cup theme bar...

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Earlsdon pub to open 1987 FA Cup theme bar...

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm

A pub is opening a sports bar in honour of Coventry City’s legendary FA Cup winning team of 1987.

The Old Clarence in Earlsdon is undergoing a £120,000 revamp and turning its bar area into a shrine to the greatest day in Sky Blues history.

The mother and daughter who run the pub in Earlsdon Avenue North say it will stand as a permanent tribute to the Sky Blues greats.

And appropriately enough for a pub they’ve invited 1987 star Micky Gynn to raise a toast to the new venture.

Sharon Turner, 41, has been running the pub for four years with the help of daughter Sara McEnery as her assistant manager. Sara, 23, is the third generation of women to run the pub after her mother followed her gran at the helm.

The relaunch will create only the second tribute bar to City’s 1987 heroes – with the other in the VIP concourse area at the new Wembley Stadium.

The pub, which dates back to 1903, has been bought from Mitchells and Butlers by Stonegate Brewery.

The bar area at the pub has been closed for the past four years.

Sharon said: “The managing director came to the pub and I told him about the history of the place.

“He just said it was madness to have (the bar) closed down.

“He wanted a sports bar but I said ‘can’t we have it as a Coventry City bar?’ I’m a Coventry City fan and it’s the first (tribute bar) in the city. The most famous thing we’re remembered for is winning the FA Cup so we wanted all the memorabilia of that.”

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE OF THIS STORY

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues