Coventry City may cash in on Keiren Westwood

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry City may cash in on Keiren Westwood

Postby dutchman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Coventry manager Aidy Boothroyd says the club are prepared to cash-in on Keiren Westwood before the close of the January transfer window.

The Republic of Ireland keeper, 26, who has made 27 appearances this season, is out of contract in the summer.

Boothroyd told BBC Coventry and Warwickshire: "I would like to keep Keiren, he has put in some fantastic performances for us.

"When people's contracts are up, you have got to think about what you do."

Boothroyd had previously stated he would rather see the goalkeeper go for free at the end of the season than lose him in January.

While still confident his side can have a strong finish to the season, Boothroyd admits the recent dip in form will affect whether Westwood stays on at the Ricoh Arena.

"Because we've had a bit of a blip and Keiren has only six months left on his contract, he's worth absolutely nothing from a financial point of view," he said.

"Having said that, he could be worth £110m if we were to go on a run and get in the play-offs and go up, so you have to balance it all out.

"If anyone comes in for him and the price is right then as a club we have got a decision to make."

Westwood joined the Sky Blues in 2008 from Carlisle United and has been linked with numerous clubs during the transfer window.

"Keiren wants to wait and see how things pan out, which is his right as a player and I respect that," Boothroyd continued.

"What we're not is a club just in it for the money, if we were then I wouldn't want to be here.

"We are a business, we want to build and not get a half decent team together to just disband it.

"We are not the type of club that can say no to good offers.

"At the same time, if that offer doesn't come then Keiren will continue to play for us and I'll have a top-class goalkeeper until the end of the season."

:bbc_sport_logo:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues