"Gavin & Stacey to return with 2024 Christmas special"

"Gavin & Stacey to return with 2024 Christmas special"

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:01 pm

Something's occurring...

A new Gavin & Stacey Christmas special is officially in the works, with the one-off special expected to air this Christmas.

According to Deadline, creators James Corden and Ruth Jones have penned another episode of the beloved BBC series, with filming expected to take place over the summer.

The new episode comes five years after the 2019 Christmas special where audiences were left on a cliffhanger involving Smithy (Corden) and Nessa (Jones).

After Smithy somewhat unsuccessfully introduced the Shipmans, Wests, Nessa and his son Neil to his new girlfriend during the festive episode, viewers were shocked to see Nessa go down on one knee in front of Smithy in the final moments. Will the new special give fans an overdue answer?

It's understood that the 2024 special is at the pre-production stage, with filming scheduled for the summer.

The episode will be produced by Steve Coogan's Baby Cow, Ruth Jones's Tidy Productions and production company Fulwell 73, which is co-owned by Corden.

In November last year, Joanna Page, who plays Stacey on the hit series, shared her uncertainty about the show's future.

"I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get the call, and I wouldn't be surprised if I did," she said to the Daily Mail at the time.

"If there is a comeback, I'll find out at the same time as the public because I don't get told anything."

No plot details have been shared for the special so far, but Page has a few ideas of what the upcoming episode could feature.

"Gavin and Stacey's kids would be teenagers now, so that would be quite funny to see," she says, adding that audiences will also want to know the outcome of Nessa's proposal.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Gavin & Stacey to return with 2024 Christmas special

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:08 pm

Gavin & Stacey's Ruth Jones denies Christmas special

Gavin & Stacey star and co-creator Ruth Jones has shut down reports that the series will be returning for a Christmas special this year.

Yesterday (February 13), Deadline reported that a festive episode was believed to be in production, with filming expected to take place this summer.

Appearing on RTE Radio 1 today, actress Ruth Jones denied the news, calling it nothing more but "a rumour".

"Apparently there is a bidding war going on between the BBC and Netflix," she said incredulously, adding: "And I love it because it says 'a source says'. You know, who is this source? Where does this stuff come from?"

"James [Corden] and I went for lunch when he came back from America, we went for lunch in London a few months ago and we got papped," she explained. "And then the next thing it's 'Oh my god, they must be writing more Gavin & Stacey', which is lovely.

"It's lovely that people love it and they're so desperate for it. Because like, imagine if it was the opposite, and they were like: 'Oh god they're not bringing that back'."

Ruth confirmed that it's "sadly a rumour". She clarified: "All I can say is if there was something to say on that front, James and I would happily announce it."

The actress added that the "random journalist" should have done their research.

"Ring up some of their [cast] agents and ask 'have you actually been approached?'" she concluded. "It's hilarious and I just have to smile."

Jones appeared on the radio programme to discuss her new role as Mother Superior in the London production of Sister Act the musical. It marks the actress's West End debut, with performances starting from March 15, 2024.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: "Gavin & Stacey to return with 2024 Christmas special"

Postby dutchman » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:17 am

Rob Brydon responds to Gavin & Stacey return rumours

Rob Brydon has responded to the latest Gavin & Stacey return rumours.

In the week, it was reported that creators James Corden and Ruth Jones have penned another Christmas special to follow on from the 2019 one.

Appearing on BBC Radio 4's Today show today (February 17), Uncle Bryn actor and Would I Lie to You? host Brydon was questioned about the report, and gave a not-very-definitive answer.

"I get asked about this every interview I ever do," he said.

"As far as I'm aware – I sound like a politician! – it's another rumour. I don't know, I'd love it if it was true."

Jones herself poured cold water over the rumours during a different radio appearance.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV