Ian Wright: Match of the Day pundit to step down at end of season

Ian Wright: Match of the Day pundit to step down at end of season

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:05 pm

Arsenal legend Ian Wright will step down as a pundit from Match of the Day at the end of the season

Wright, 60, made his debut on the BBC programme as a player in 1997 and, following his retirement in 2000, went on to become a regular pundit in 2002.

Wright said the decision "had been coming for a while" and was "fast-tracked" by turning 60 last month.

"Ultimately, it's time to do a few more different things with my Saturdays," the former England striker said.

Wright had two spells on Match of the Day, first from 2002 before he left in 2008, and then returning in 2015. In May he appeared alongside Shaun Wright-Phillips to become the first father and son punditry team to appear on the show.

"After my debut show whilst still a player in 1997 and many more memorable years, I'll be stepping back from BBC MOTD at the end of this season," said Wright, who will be on Sunday's MOTD2 on BBC One at 22:30 GMT.

"I feel very privileged to have had such an incredible run on the most iconic football show in the world."

He added: "Anyone that knows my story knows how much the show has meant to me since I was a young boy. MOTD is my Holy Grail. On my first ever show, I told [presenter] Des Lynam, 'This is my Graceland'. It will always be my Graceland and I will always be watching.

"I'm stepping back having made great friends and many great memories. I'm really looking forward to my last months on the show and covering what will hopefully be an amazing title race."

Head of BBC Sport Content Philip Bernie said: "Ian has been a wonderful star player on MOTD since his first appearance over 20 years ago. His insight, wit and warmth have richly entertained and informed all those watching him. We will miss his unique style and presence when he goes at the end of this season, but we will be sure to give him the send-off he deserves."

:bbc_sport_logo:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV