Doctor Who's Russell T Davies explains reason behind new TARDIS design

Doctor Who's Russell T Davies explains reason behind new TARDIS design

Postby dutchman » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:36 am

New Doctor, new TARDIS

Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies has revealed why the TARDIS has received an updated design for its new era.

Before Ncuti Gatwa assumes the mantle of the titular Time Lord of the BBC's long-running sci-fi smash in its fourteenth series, David Tennant has reprised his role in three 60th anniversary specials.

The trio of episodes star Tennant alongside returning character Donna Noble (Catherine Tate), as well as Heartstopper's Yasmin Finney, Miriam Margolyes and Neil Patrick Harris – and a brand new TARDIS design.

Speaking to Digital Spy and other media at a screening of the show's first special, 'The Star Beast' – which aired on BBC One this evening (November 25) – Davies explained the iconic spaceship's "amazing" new look.

"I think I said: 'Big and white', which it really is," he said. "I've got to say to Phil [Sims], who designed it, it's such a piece of engineering. You've got to be able to walk on those walkways and run around.

"That's a proper working studio, with health and safety practices and things like that. Oh, my God, it's a piece of work."

Davies continued his explanation, adding that he didn't pluck the redesign out of nowhere.

"I actually did love over the past few years, Clara flew off in a white TARDIS and then Jodie Whittaker had the fugitive Doctor and she had a white TARDIS and I loved the white TARDIS.

"I kind of spent a couple of years thinking: 'Oh, I like that', not knowing I was coming back. It's funny. I didn't know I was coming back and nonetheless, you do sit watching, thinking, Oh, I'd do this, I'd do that. So that was handy."

Davies also added that Tennant had a characteristically excited response to the redesign.

"David loved it so much, he thought it would be absolutely brilliant to run around it. After eight takes, not quite so funny. He was worn out by the end."

In a callback to the very first Doctor's TARDIS, there's also a coffee machine, for any caffeine-deficient Time Lords or companions.

"They used to have a food machine that would serve you like eggs and bacon in the shape of a little tablet, and things like that... we haven't bought that back, but coffee will do."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV