Ruth Madoc: Hi-de-Hi! actress dies aged 79

Ruth Madoc: Hi-de-Hi! actress dies aged 79

Postby rebbonk » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:17 pm

Actress Ruth Madoc, who starred in the BBC sitcom Hi-de-Hi!, has died aged 79, her agent says.

Her agent said she died in hospital on Friday afternoon after surgery for a fall she had earlier in the week.

Phil Belfield of talent agency Belfield & Ward Ltd described her as a "unique talent loved by many".

He paid tribute to her "iconic" TV performance as Gladys Pugh in the 1980s comedy Hi-de-Hi!, about a holiday camp in the late 50s.

"It is with much sadness that we have to announce the death of our dear and much loved client Ruth Madoc," he said in a statement.

Describing her as a "real legend of the British entertainment scene", Mr Belfield said she was "gone far too soon".

Her fall forced her to withdraw from performing in the pantomime Aladdin at the Princess Theatre in Torquay, Devon.

Screenwriter Russell T Davies described her as "funny, kind, salty, shrewd and beautifully uncynical" in a tribute on Instagram.

The Doctor Who writer and It's A Sin creator said she was "one of those great old troupers who loved the business, loved the stories, loved acting and actors".

"She starred as Myrtle in a series I wrote called Mine All Mine, and she was an absolute delight."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63927507
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Ruth Madoc: Hi-de-Hi! actress dies aged 79

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:12 pm

She was born Ruth Llewellyn but was married to actor Philip Madoc (left) between 1961 and 1981 and retained his name after their divorce.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV