Bamber Gascoigne: Original University Challenge presenter dies at 87

Bamber Gascoigne: Original University Challenge presenter dies at 87

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:07 pm

Former University Challenge presenter and author Bamber Gascoigne has died at the age of 87

Gascoigne was the original presenter of the TV quiz show from 1962 to 1987. He also presented TV documentaries and wrote several books.

Gascoigne, who died after a short illness, became best known for his famous University Challenge catchphrases such as "Fingers on buzzers", "Your starter for 10", and "I'll have to hurry you".

University Challenge aired on ITV for 25 years before being revived on the BBC in 1994 with Jeremy Paxman as the quiz master.

Gascoigne also found cult fame after an episode of anarchic sitcom The Young Ones was named after him - titled Bambi - in 1984.

Gascoigne also presented 1977 ITV documentary series The Christians and the 1990 Channel 4 TV series The Great Moghuls, and created an online history encyclopaedia called HistoryWorld.

More recently, his Surrey home has become familiar to fans of the BBC comedy Ghosts.

He inherited West Horsley Place - which is known as Button House in the series - from his aunt, the Duchess of Roxburghe, in 2014.

Gascoigne was born in London and won scholarships to Eton and Magdalene College, Cambridge, where he met his wife.

He also co-wrote the 1950s musical revue Share My Lettuce, which showcased rising stars Kenneth Williams and Dame Maggie Smith.

The TV host was appointed CBE in 2018 for services to the arts.

In a statement, Peter Gwyn, executive producer of University Challenge, said everyone on the show "has been deeply saddened to hear of Bamber's death, and our thoughts and sympathy go to his family and friends".

"Bamber was unlike anyone else on television when the programme started back in 1962 - he was utterly charming, erudite and, at times, seemingly omniscient, and his 25 years spent presenting the programme established it firmly as the institution it is now. He was a unique presence in British broadcasting and he'll be very sadly missed."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Bamber Gascoigne: Original University Challenge presenter dies at 87

Postby rebbonk » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:41 pm

I used to love watching UC. R.I.P.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to Other TV